Silverline Sonata III & McIntosh MC275?

I am planning to upgrade my speakers and I am just wondering if this combination works?

I currently have the Sonata I now and the C-220 / MC275 combo works quite well with them. Haven't seen much of the McIntosh & Silverline combos around. I heard that the Sonata III are totally different than the old Sonata I. What are the sonic-differences in between them two? I researched and researched and was so discouraged just because I haven't found any info with a system which consist the two, or even a person who tried this combo... Would like to get some advice before making the purchase. Thanks!
infinity_audio

Showing 2 responses by bondmanp

I have heard Alan's speakers at two HE shows in NYC. The first time, he was demonstrating the Boleros with his homemade flea-watt tube amp. (The sound was delicious, btw, and to date, the Boleros remain my dream speaker). I don't recall the CDP. The next time, he was showcasing his entry level models, the Prelude and the Minuet. Here, he made a point of the fact that he was using a cheap AM/FM receiver with a garage-sale CDP (Phillips?). Probably under $100 for both on ebay. The sound was impressive, to say the least.

My point is that, IMHO, Alan tries to design speakers to sound good with a variety of amps and source components. This is not to say that some gear won't have more synergy with Silverlines than others, or that some of Alan's designs are easier to match with an amp than others. Just my experience and $0.02.
Tvad: Honestly, I can't remember if there was any Pass gear in the room with the Boleros. It was a number of years ago. There was absolutely NO Pass gear, or any other gear than what I mentioned above in the more recent show where Alan showcased the Minuets and Preludes. I remember, at Alan's suggestion, moving around the room to hear the Minuets from different locations. I was looking for a subwoofer, too. There wasn't one, even though it sounded like too much bass output for such small speakers (both Minuets and Preludes).

I've heard horror stories of lost and damaged equipment at the NYC shows, and even one case of a rather large theft. Under those circumstances, using cheap electronics is understandable!

BTW, I've asked before, but I'd love to know if anyone has heard the Allegros (which seem to be Preludes with extra woofers). They are more in my real-world price range than the Boleros.