Silly question, but I’ll ask it anyway.

Just wondering, but can you make an interconnect with spark plug wire?

why is or isn’t this done?
last_lemming

Showing 3 responses by heaudio123

You could do it. It would probably sound awful with most spark plug wires.  Most spark plug wires are highly inductive (and resistive) stainless steel wire around a core that may or may not be conductive carbon. I guess if you like your music really warm, you may like them :-)
I am not aware of any fixed resistor in ages, and copper, not in forever except for racing, and even then you want to control the spark to prevent fuel cavitation.
Most domestic wire is not simply a fiber glass core covered in carbon filled latex. Most are variable spaced fairly high resistance stainless wire. They variable spacing is so they can have consistent performance independent of wire length, hence why today you buy vehicle specific wire sets (or should).
Don't pick some random site on the web for your information. Most mechanics won't have a clue about the inner working of spark plug wires.

oldhvymec,
When I need some help with RF design or mitigating RF noise, I don't consult my mechanic. Ditto when I need help with fluid dynamics.

"Still using multi-strand wire" ? .... I think your knowledge is either limited or out of date w.r.t. spark plug wires. Modern high performance spark plug wires are a single strand of typically thin stainless wire coiled (variable spacing) around a core of fibreglass or similar, but sometimes around a secondary conductive core of carbon. The stainless wire being thin is resistive, just like a carbon conductor, but you also have a helpful and controllable inductive component, plus as you can space the coils, you can better control conductivity over length.  From the NGK website for example, "NGK ignition wire sets are engineered to meet strict OEM tolerances using variable pitch wire winding, creating resistance to radio frequency interference."  You can also consult the image on this page:  https://www.holley.com/blog/post/plug_wires_build_them_right/, or this one: https://www.musclecardiy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/107.jpg.  With modern cars having high output per displacement, and fuel efficiency/emissions requirements, advanced construction like this is now common.

cavitation: Rapid forming and collapsing of vapour pockets, sort of like on the wall of a moving diesel cylinder, but hey.

The definition of diesel is rapidly heated air reaching a suitable temperature to ignite fuel, but hey, why get hung up on semantics. That of course differs from dieseling where you do have heating due to compression, but can have a lower ignition temperature due to the hot spot in the combustion chamber.  2300psi is a relatively meaningless number that represents a very specific set of conditions w.r.t. initial air temperature and fuel type. It is not, in any way, form, or function a definition of "diesel"   (nor have anything to do with this conversation).