Siemens -Halske 6922

I was wondering if any of you have had personal listening experiences with these babies in your rigs? I would appreciate a discription of the tube's signature, likes/dilikes, the whole nine... thanks, warren :)
128x128warrenh
Hi, I have had experience with Siemens tubes. I actually prefer the 7308 version to the 6922. I have found Siemens tubes to be very open, detailed, and transparent. I previously had a CAT SLl MK lll preamp, and the Siemens 7308 was the best sounding and most durable for the phono section.

I have found through extensive tube rolling, that each time I change a component, I find myself trying every version to get the best sound for that particular piece of audio gear.

There are several tube sellers on Agon, and I have found them to be very honest and knowledgable about the NOS tubes that they sell.

I can highly recommend an internet seller that stands behind everything he sells. He even goes as far as accepting returns if the particular tube you purchased doesn't sound right for you piece of gear. You just can't beat that!

Google Brent Jesse Recording. He has a great website that is very easy to negotiate. Prices are fair, and his communication skills are incomparable.
One of my favorite tubes I rotate these in my pre and phono, not a warm tube but very detailed top to bottom tends to move soundstage frontward. If your system leans to brightness may want to look other NOS options
Dennis
Post removed 
Those highs scare me a tad--the leaning toward brightness part. Another killer tube that is close to the Siemens Cca or Siemens Halske, but maybe a tad mellower on top. Or at the worst: neutral
Warren, if you are going to spend the money try to purchase the grey plate early 60's CCa's. They sound more natural, not quite as bright as the shiny plate CCa's. I use one pair in a system full of tubes and they do add something quite special to the overall sound. Don
My Siemens 6922 listening experience with ARC gear is extensive and the answer is simple: in a revealing system, good well matched examples (see below) smoke current Russian 6922's in almost every respect - detail, dynamics, imaging and transparency, among other things. Getting there, on the other hand, is another story. Siemens 6922's come in at least four versions that I know of and the vintage is also important. The four versions are, in ascending order of sound quality, ECC88, E88CC, 7308 (=E188CC) and Cca. In terms of vintage, strictly speaking, the name "Siemens Halske" refers only to the older production tubes from the '60's, while the later 70's/80's versions came in boxes labeled "Siemens Rohre". I have also seen military versions of the E88CC and 7308 labeled JAN or with a falcon logo on the tube. In terms of sound, though, the real distinction is between the getters: the earlier reputedly better sounding versions have a grey chemical coating on them - 'grey' getters - and the later ones have clear metal ('silver') getters. Good well matched examples of grey getter versions are now almost impossible to find or assemble; 70's versions are still around and I highly recommend them. Testing and matching is critical; I wouldn't go into any NOS tubes without my own tube tester. The first and simplest test is for output level, which is measured as transconductance, because the output of every tube declines with hours of usage. 6922's have two sections which have to be measured separately for output. Unbalanced gear often - not always -employs these tubes in pairs with one tube to a channel, so that the aggregate output of each tube in the pair should be the same ('matched'). Balanced applications generally require that each section of each tube have the same output(!) The next issue is microphonics, which is a particular problem with 6922's; it can be due to a manufacturing defect or from mishandling (these tubes are 20-40 years old). The crude way to measure is that you can hear it by tapping the tube while the gear is on; some testers (Vacuum Tube Valley ("VTV"), Hickock 539C) allow you to listen for it. Microphonics is less important if the tube is not used in a high gain application, but I personally would not use a microphonic preamp tube in a cutting-edge system. VTV has also developed a test for triode to triode plate balance. Current production tubes are not spec'd to have balanced plates, but premium NOS versions were, so I believe that test is also useful. This is a long primer, perhaps, but I learned most of this stuff the hard way. Happy tubing!
Post removed 
Nice Arahl. I was talking to another tube expert who has been explaining some very interesting things. Here's some of his points:
Siemens-Rohne Cca not nearly as good as Siemen-Halske
Siemens_Halske between 59 to 72 are the real deal and are the way you guys have described.
Andy (Bowman) was saying that, believe it or not, the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 (yes they did make that tube) is quite incredible. Liquid and toasty and a whole bunch of other accolades. Obviously listening and preferences are the way to go, so I will keep you posted with my tympanic experiences. Thanks again guys

Tvad, sorry for the aside e mail. I don't know what came over me. I forgot all about this thread.
I presently have six of the 60's CCa sweethearts in my BAT VK-D5. When I owned my ARC SP9 and SP14 pre's: they were also equipped with the same. The most musical/accurate of the family(if you purchase the 60's version, as mentioned above). The 70's tubes pump razor blades through the system(I suppose some solid state lovers would call that, "detail"). I've also used the E188CC, and found them quite nice. A good place to shop:(http://www.audio-tubes.com/) VERY knowledgable/dependable!!
Post removed 
I agree with the bugle boy suggestion, Mullard e88cc or what I find to be neutral is gold pins telefunken e88cc these will not be bright and will last a lifetime. If you do not find a resonable price on the tubes you want feel free to contact me, I have many extra (pairs and quads) of many of the tubes discussed here
Post removed 
In the late 90's, I tried or owned almost every tube type available in this family. Sold much of it but still own/use certain brands. Recently, I plugged in a pair (unused) of RCA branded Siemens 6dj8's (1968 vintage). After some initial congestion, these tubes showed some impressive traits. Almost as resolving as the SH CCA, more resolving than the SH 6922 (1962 vintage) Vacuum tube valley has them on sale at %15.00 off. Total of $85.00 shipped plus handling fee. A real bargain in this crazily overpriced tube world of late.