Sibilance # 2 or "Boy, do I feel like an idiot"

I decided to try what @ghdprentice had suggested-- I took the Jay's out and tried both the Sim, then a Jolida JD100 CDP (with its DAC bypassed) and... I heard the same sibilance as with the Jay's !  

I'm baffled-- I  have no explanation and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. 

Before I got the Jay's (using the Sim transport.with the Hegel) I wasn't aware of any sibilance,

My wife, a decidedly non-obsessive but wonderfully perceptive bystander, is dead certain there was no sibilance before I acquired the Hegel. At that point, I used the Sim transport with a Wells Majestic integrated. 

Should I now conclude the issue is with the Hegel ?

Not that there is anything malfunctioning, but that there is a synergy issue? 

stuartk

If it sounds good in the car, and good with headphone, then it is the amp portion of the integrated, or more likely the speakers.

Personally I find starting with the most likely causal mechanisms and working down from there, can save time and money.

The power supply/conditioning would be an example… as would all the ICs and power cords, coming before the integrated amp.

And no sibilance “with headphones and in a car”, also means you could cancel the hearing test… (it would not be causing the home system to be different than the phones or the car.)

@holmz 

Your simple suggestion (try car CDP) clarified this mystery in less than a minute. 

The good news-- I'm no longer wandering around in the dark

The not so good news-- it does seem to be my hearing.

The reason I doubted this possibility from the start was simply the fact that I went from being entirely unaware of sibilance to becoming aware of it and finding it increasingly annoying, in the span of about three weeks. 

At any rate, I feel relieved, knowing what's going on.

Thanks ! 

@holmz

Your simple suggestion (try car CDP) clarified this mystery in less than a minute.

The good news-- I’m no longer wandering around in the dark

The not so good news-- it does seem to be my hearing.

The reason I doubted this possibility from the start was simply the fact that I went from being entirely unaware of sibilance to becoming aware of it and finding it increasingly annoying, in the span of about three weeks.

At any rate, I feel relieved, knowing what’s going on.

Thanks

Does your wife not hear it then?
(If she does, then it is the CD/recording.)

However I did need to see an audiologist somewhere around 1990-92.
(I had a distortion in one ear, that was sibilance like.)
They said, “It is common in sound recording engineers.” (Which I am not.)
Basically they said, “not to listen so hard,” and it cleared itself up.

Clearly that sort of causal mechanism would not be solved with silver cables, fancy fuses, nor power conditioners.

If it is a similar thing, then it should clear up… But I would be very interested to hear when the audiologist tells you… I suspect others would as well.

Odd that the headphone didn’t also do it though.

@holmz 

Well, I purposely keep headphone volume quite low. I wouldn't be surprised should  turning up the volume reveal sibilance.

Yes. my wife hears it but she says it doesn't bother her. 

Thanks for mentioning your experience with the audiologist. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Best regards 

Stuartk