Sibilance # 2 or "Boy, do I feel like an idiot"

I decided to try what @ghdprentice had suggested-- I took the Jay's out and tried both the Sim, then a Jolida JD100 CDP (with its DAC bypassed) and... I heard the same sibilance as with the Jay's !  

I'm baffled-- I  have no explanation and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. 

Before I got the Jay's (using the Sim transport.with the Hegel) I wasn't aware of any sibilance,

My wife, a decidedly non-obsessive but wonderfully perceptive bystander, is dead certain there was no sibilance before I acquired the Hegel. At that point, I used the Sim transport with a Wells Majestic integrated. 

Should I now conclude the issue is with the Hegel ?

Not that there is anything malfunctioning, but that there is a synergy issue? 

stuartk

@decooney 

It started out with only select CDs but now it seems to affect EVERY vocal cd I play, whether the singer is male or female. I bought a CD last week, after I'd already begun to notice sibilance and the CD in question sounded great-- no sibilance, whatsoever. I played it today and the sibilance is there. WTF? 

I can't help but wonder whether a progressively failing part is to blame.

The Hegel is 6 months old.

I've had the Jay's for a few weeks.

I bought the Aqua DAC in May of 2019. 

The Silverline monitors are 17 years old. 

I've got an appt. for a hearing test, tomorrow but as it's never been checked before, I have no baseline. I don't see how it will help me determine why a system that sounded fine before I got the Jays (Sim -> Aqua -> Hegel) now sounds excessively sibilant.  

It started out with only select CDs but now it seems to affect EVERY vocal cd I play, whether the singer is male or female. I bought a CD last week, after I'd already begun to notice sibilance and the CD in question sounded great-- no sibilance, whatsoever. I played it today and the sibilance is there. WTF? 

Can you play it in a car, or on someone else’s system?
(That could rule out your ears.)

If it sounds good in the car, and good with headphone, then it is the amp portion of the integrated, or more likely the speakers.

Personally I find starting with the most likely causal mechanisms and working down from there, can save time and money.

The power supply/conditioning would be an example… as would all the ICs and power cords, coming before the integrated amp.

And no sibilance “with headphones and in a car”, also means you could cancel the hearing test… (it would not be causing the home system to be different than the phones or the car.)

@holmz 

Your simple suggestion (try car CDP) clarified this mystery in less than a minute. 

The good news-- I'm no longer wandering around in the dark

The not so good news-- it does seem to be my hearing.

The reason I doubted this possibility from the start was simply the fact that I went from being entirely unaware of sibilance to becoming aware of it and finding it increasingly annoying, in the span of about three weeks. 

At any rate, I feel relieved, knowing what's going on.

Thanks !