Shouldn't done that...

I have a home office that has a head phone rig. I had been using a DAC Magic fed by a dedicated Windows 7 laptop running JRiver MC17 via USB to a Stello U2 via SDIF then into the DAC Magic.

Well, I just "had to" try my Stello DA100 Signature from my big rig in my basemenet listening area in place of the DAC Magic - feeding the DA100 with the I2S out of the U2 - not the SPDIF.

WOW! Without going into all the gory details, this move resulted in a substantial difference. Geez.

So, I am selling my DAC Magic set-up (see classified here on A'Gon) and keeping the DA100 Signature in my office. I need a DAC for the big rig.

I can come up with no more than $1,500 - I am seriously considering a W4S DAC-2. The opinions are positive, the price at MSRP fits the budget and Rick Cullen has been doing great things for a while.

Thoughts? Other new or used DACs that should be on my short list?
128x128flyfish2002

Showing 1 response by flyfish2002

Thanks for the suggestions.

Who makes the DA 160?

I looked at the Ayre DAC. While universally accalimed, it has only one digital input: asynchronous USB. I will be using the better DAC I am looking for in my big rig in the basement listening area. The DAC will be fed exclusively by a Logitech SB Touch digital out, which happens to be SPDIF on RCA.

The Stello DA100 Signature has multiple digital inputs, so it is not an issue. However, I would like to use the "better" DAC in my big rig, not my home office head phone system (though the asynchronous USB out from my laptop does sound appealing).