Shouldn't amp reviews employ multiple speakers?

In the December issue of Stereophile, both of the amp reviews (VTL S-400 & MF kW750) were conducted with a single set of speakers (Thiel CS6 w/ the VTL, Wilson MAXX2 w/ the MF). This seems like bad practice. Shouldn't an amp review try to assess how well an amplifier handles a variety of different speakers?

I've been out of audiophilia for a while, so maybe there's a theory behind single-speaker testing of amplifiers. But I always thought the amplifier-speaker interface was crucial. An amp might sound great with one set of speakers, but terrible with another (presumably due to some difference in impedence, frequency response, or other design characteristics).

Am I missing something, or is anyone else bothered by amp reviews that only use one set of speakers?
jpbach

Showing 1 response by robm321

Well they'd have to try the amp with several speakers, different room sizes, different preamps, different interconnects, different recordings, different racks they sit on, etc.

At some point you just have to take reviews as guidance. That's why you should listen for yourself before you buy.

As my system evolved, I noticed that my equipment may have different synergy but still seems to have the same characteristics no matter what you match it with.