should speakers be coupled or decoupled?

I have seen a bunch of threads that touch on this, but I wanted to ask the question directly: I don't understand the idea of putting ball bearing type decoupling devices underneath floorstanding speakers (with or without a platform). Doesn't this mean that the speaker will move around as it's woofer fires? And isn't that decidedly not good sonically?

I do understand the idea of having a very solid base for the speaker: either spikes down through carpet to the base material underneath, or a solid platform.

I'm very interested in people's thoughts on this matter.
dgaylin
Markphd, I understand what you are saying and feel that your logic is sound, but recently I have read reports and reviews from credible and reliable sources that claim that the use of a decoupling device such as Symposium's Ropllerblock jrs., can and do outperform spikes, when placed under a loudspeaker. Now a device of this type, basically a ball bearing of some sort sandwiched between two discs with a concave surface, will allow a fairly large amount of movement of the speaker cabinets, even if they are fairly heavy. Do you have any theories as to why this result may have been reported? Are these people hearing things? I certainly hope that, one such as yourself, wouldn't go down that road as it would seem to be, well for a lack of a better term, a cop out way to explain what these industry professionals report to be hearing.
On a lesser expensive level, I suspect one can ascertain for themselves what's best for their situation by trying both avenues... At least they'll find out what they can live with that way... and should.

you may enjoy using both methods simultaneously. Coupling say the stands, yet decoupling the speaker from them.

I'd go that way before I'd opt for some $200 + or way more expensive items that suit one path or the other best.... just to get some idea.

There's tons of threads here on this activity - philosophy, and it always comes down to what you will endure or enjoy the most. So, try both at some moderate level and go from there.

Remember, it's your ears and your wallet.

Happy listening!
Frankly, I'm skeptical about putting speakers on roller blocks or any type of decoupling device that allows for any additional movement. I think that the last thing that you want to do is allow for any z-axis (forward/backward) movement of the speaker focal node. That's got to play hell with the speakers timimg and ability to image properly.

I live in Southern California, which means slab foundations. I have always had good luck with spikes, usually with some sort of footers beneath. For bookshelf speakers or monitors I have used both Aurelex foam pads and sorbothane mats. The sorbothane is much, much better IMHO.

Good luck
Rcrerar, my comments are based on the physics of what is happening. Sometimes what people hear is based on psychology rather than physics. although science can, and does, explain psychological perceptual differences too. One of the great difficulties in perceptual psychology, and audiophilia, is that is that we don't always know when differences are physical and generalizable to all, or perceptual on an individual basis...heard only by the individual. So science rolls on, we try to learn more about the variables and their effects/interactions. In the meantime debates rage and our arguments become almost philosophical until we learn more.

I am unfamiliar with the bearing systems you describe. There is a reasonable hypothesis that could be tested though. It is possible that the bearing surface is small enough to act like a spike and minimize external vibrations from entering. Yet, the mass or design of the speaker may be enough that the speaker movements don't affect the cone movement to an audible extent. So you don't need to couple to the extent that you would with a fixed spike. However, this hypothesis should only cause the system to equal a spike's performance, not improve it.

I remain open to any scientific explanation or theory as to how this works in terms of physics. Until then, I lean towards a psychological explanation as to any perceived differences. This is equally founded in science, but it is something that may not be heard by others other than as the result of the suggestion of marketers or those looking to sell or promote the product.

In other words, I prefer Newton's Laws of Motion as an expalation as to why spikes are better than a moveable bearing in a stand. If there are other explanations, I remain open minded. But the others have the onus of proof. Until then I prefer the psychological explanation. They may be hearing differences that are real to them, maybe because they want to hear a difference or maybe because it has been suggested that a difference exists so they perceive one. This is fine, but it applies to them and it is not necessarily what you or I would perceive.

Anyway, I'm reminded of a saying that I like: "Theory and practice are the same in theory but not in practice."