Should I upgrade my SME 3009 III tonearm?

I getting back into vinyl after a long hiatus. Along with 6000 jazz LP's I inherited a never-been-used SME 3009 III tonearm. I was planning to mount it on a VPI HW19 MK IV turntable but had second thoughts after talking to VPI. Basically I was told that the SME arm wouldn't perform as well as even the cheapest of arms available today. I found that hard to believe. For many years I used a SME 3009 II arm/Shure V15 III combination on an Ariston RD11S turntable. It performed very very well and I was a happy camper. I've read recent reviews for more up-to-date arms and I'm not impressed. The reviewers use alot of colorful babble but say little of substance. As for auditioning arms, my part of Ohio dosent seem to have any high-end audio dealers that are up to the task. Anyone have any advice?
black_archer

Showing 1 response by dobjim

Pay little attention to what VPI states because they all ways push there own arms. SME arms are all right if you pay attention to proper set up. Most arms from the last 25 years are OK with proper set up. In fact, the best arm I have heard in anyone's system is an old Mayware Formula IV unipivolt mounted and setup with care on a Luxman direct drive table. I have listened to over 150 vinyl rigs as a conservative estimate, and they sound somewhat different yet remain better than CD. It is all in the setup. Although, a new phono connect is a good idea.