Should I modify my Sony s9000es or get a DAC?

Hi Folks,
I'm considering modifiactions from Modright to my Sony s9000es CD/DVD player. I'm looking for some advise. Should I consider:
1. modifications for around $1,000 from Modright & not purchase an outboard DAC
2. no modifications but get an outboard DAC
3. modifications & an outboard DAC
4. a different CD player altogether & if so, would there be a need for an outboard DAC with your suggestion.

A couple thoughts - if I do the mods to the s9000es, would I get any money for the mods in return if I decide to sell? Are purchasers generally turned off by a modified unit?
Thanks
dsiggia

Showing 1 response by jmcgrogan2

In general, you will never get your money in return for mods. A typical 9000ES goes for around $700, put $1000 mod in one and you may get $1100, IMO. When I went from my VPI Jr turntable to my mk IV, I sold my Jr. and bought the mk IV. It's much cheaper to go that route and let someone else pay the upgrade bill. This is from my experiences, I've done both routes. I remeber when I had my Rotel cd player upgraded by EAD many years ago, before they made their own equipment, when you go to sell, and you will, it's the nature of the beast, you will take a bath on mods. You will be lucky if you get anywhere near half the money back that you've invested.
I'd either post a wanted ad, and look for one that's already modded and sell your 9000ES, or get the outboard DAC, used of course. Finacially speaking, it's your best move. Get the mod only if you plan to keep this unit for a long, long time and do not care what the resale will be.

Regards,
John