Should I keep my Well tempered tonearm?

I have had this arm for years. I am currently in the middle of getting an oracle Delphi MKIII. My alexandria it was on has had it, and its not logical to repair what needs replacement.

I have always had mistracking issues with this tonearm and whatever cartridge. I just sold a Grado Sonata, which may have been a mistake. I have tried multiple cartridges (read 4 different known good units) and never seem to get it right.

I ordered the protractor from stanalog because I am concerned that its incorrectly set overhang causing mistracking. When I say mistracking I mean sibalence.

I have played with every possible setting and never had it setup to my satisfaction.

Honestly, I am sick of screwing around with this arm. I am about ready to get rid of it and get something different.

The manual isn't all that great as far as installation instructions either. It lists that you mount the cart and set overhang by twisting the arm mounting until the stylus lines up with the overhang circle. This makes no sense to set overhang with an arbitrary cartridge mounting arrangement.

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but I am very frustrated and annoyed with this arm. I just want to listen to good sounding clean music. Not dirty sibalence.

Thanks guys, your input would be appreciated. I would likely have to buy an arm that is priced close to what the WTT is worth used because I won't have a ton of money left over.

Evan

BTW, I put a 10x5 on a thorens turntable and could listen to that all day compared to my setup.
240z4u

Showing 7 responses by 240z4u

Okay, first you are correct that I have suspended tables. Just for fun, I have mounted this arm on a non-suspended table to see if results changes. Pretty much same scenario. You may be right about the arm not liking suspension though. Lets take that out of the equasion for now. Keep in mind, the tonearm is suspended as well on the same plane as the platter so they all move together.

Ill try to respond in numerical order as far as what you have told me. BTW, david, you have helped me with this arm in the past as well. I have a feeling I didn't understand it well enough at the time to really make it work. Maybe the case now too.

1) Noted, I am currently trying a Shure M97xe loaner from a buddy. Very low hours. Still breaking in honestly. Same sibalence as I had with my Grado Sonata.

2) Before work today, I raised the paddle totally out of the goo. I figure it should have all dripped off before I get home so I can get a more accurate starting point. I had the paddle submerged 100%, which could have been the entire problem.

3)You gave me the alternative mounting method at least a year and a half ago, which I did do! Seemed to at least seem more stable.

4)Anti skate is set to 0, mine IS adjustable but it seems like there is still too much. I actually looped the wires over the bars so they physically touch in the center without binding etc..

I think this may be the crux of the problem. I am wondering what the story is with anti-skate as it never seemed to be quite right. I could never truely have NO anti skate.

I would prefer to keep this thread rolling just for the info of the next poor guy who is having trouble.

Now, I have a couple questions for you about the arm.

As you are looking at the arm from the top, how are the screws on the paddle in the goo oriented to the arm tube? Are they on either side forming a perfect T, or are they turned to one side or another? I am talking about the screws that hold the monofilament.

Next, which side of the monofilament goes through which hole in the towers? is it right side of the mono goes through the bar furthers to the rear?

I am trying to start at square 1 here. I know this arm has potential but god knows who has messed with it in the past.

Thanks everyone - Evan
Tobias, your welcome.

David. Thank you for your thoughts. Ill check to make sure the screws are perpendicular to the arm tube first. Then ill do the rest of that good stuff. I am also going to remeasure my mounting point from the spindle to the arm mounting stud to make sure that is dead on.

Glad you tried the 97, so I know thats not the issue. I have no idea if i am overloading inputs. Worst case, I can plug everything into my marantz 2226b to make sure thats not it. I have about 50db of gain.

The rest of my system sounds great, so thats not the issue.

Just for the record, here is what the rest of the food chain looks like.

PSE studio SL preamp
Welborne compleat phono stage
Tweaked/rebuilt dynaco MKIIIs.
Mordaunt short performance 860s.
Audioquest quartz interconnects on the TT stuff.
Arm rewired with cardas cryoed wire.
Monster biwire speaker cables.

I am sure this won't really help diagnosis but I am also sure someone will be curious enough to ask!

Thanks, ill be in touch after I play a bit tonight. I really need to get overhang just right too, which I cannot do without the dang protractor that I ordered last night.

Thanks guys! - Evan
Sorry forgot to mention I have had about 5 different carts on this arm as well, so I am somewhat sure thats not the problemo.

Evan
Thanks for the reassurance that I am not barking up the wrong tree with this on a suspended table!

Evan
I guess what I meant to say was that my tonearm had been used on suspended tables before.

In my own (not the most educated) opinion, I don't see why it would not work on a suspended table.

Its besides the point though right now, because its on an unsuspended turntable.

Interesting thought on overload. I have run the following cartridges with pretty much the same problems

Denon DL110
Sumiko BP
Grado sonata
Current shure
Audio technica cheapo

They are all pretty high output wise.

Non-linear? Yeah thats a gross understatement. I guess its part of the fun/frustration. I just happen to be in the frustration part right now!

Guys, once again, thank you SO much for your insight. It is VERY helpful.

I actually have a shinon red with a missing cantilever that I was going to have redone by sound-smith. Its .9mv and would be a better match for my phono stage from what I saw on the KAB calculator (which I didn't know existed till today).

I was going off recommendations from music direct.

I have no idea if my Welborne has adjustable output. I know loading and capacitance is adjustable but I have not played with it.

This discussion is actually very encouraging, thank you!

Evan

I had a buddy offer me a basically new Sumiko FT-3 for 200 bucks. I may just buy it to try it.
Well, I made some progress yesterday.

I reset the overhang after finding the dimension in some paperwork that I had long forgotten about. .63" is the overhang for anyone who needs to know.

I reset the arm completely, azimuth/vta/etc...

Sound is getting much better. I need to find a good way to remove some silicone from my damping trough though. I may still have the cart overdamped.

Most of the sibalence is gone, and I think I can eliminate the rest.

Looks like there is hope for this thing yet!

Thanks everyone, especially David!

Evan