Should I keep my JBL 150A's?

I want to put a Home Theater together in my new rec room. The area is large enough (20x30 feet) to support a large Big Screen and a 5.1,6.1, or 7.1 surround system.

My delema. Should I start from scratch or should I anchor the system with my JBL L150A's? These are from 1980. They're large 3-way towers with a 12" woofer and base passive radiator. They're rated to handle 300W. I drove them in college (early 80's) with a Yamaha M4/C4. I hooked them up with my M4/C4 after a 10 year break. They are unbelievable. The walnut cabinets aren't bad to look at either. The only knock if you could call it is they seem to want to be played loud where imaging and detail improve as volume goes up.

If you wanted to keep the 150's, what would be a good compliment for a Center Channel, surrounds, and subwoofer?

Is a subwoofer really needed if I have the 150's? (My wife is already complaining that the floors are shaking). Oh yeh, I broke a window in my parents house with one too.
sempaul

Showing 1 response by tomryan

If you like them, keep and use them. It's just TV, anyway. If they image decently enough you may not need a center channel. However, (I swear this is true) major advances in speaker design and performance have occured in the last 23 years.

Maybe you can reduce the floor shaking by getting speakers off the floor. Good bass really shouldn't shake the floor unless some boards are loose.