... Should I be concerned?

Hello to all...

So here I am, back again, still trying to "tune" my budget rig to the max "best to me sound":

CD only setup with over 10 yr old Marantz SA8001, into a Tube Line-level preamp, into a Parasound HCA-750 power amp, with homemade speaker cables (12g solid core copper wire, twisted; bare wire on both ends), at back of speaker same wire bent into C-shapes as jumpers... Speakers are KEF Q1s (luv'um).

On the back of the Parasound, there are volume knobs (so you could use the amp direct without a preamp) which I have up full ( as recommended to me thru another topic line). When I play music, I have so little volume adjustment available: I can't really get past 8 o'clock (from starting at 7) without it being too loud... 

One question I have is: will I be degrading the sound if I " adjust" the volume pots on the rear of the power amp, so that I can have more control over the volume knob on the pre? I guess I' be shooting for a 10-11 o'clock on the pre, and I'll assume it means a great decrease in the setting on the power amp.

Could another tact be: to replace the volume knob/pot with an articulated one, one that would click increases as I turn it?

This may be a foolish question - but any info or suggestions (other than criticism or sarcasm) would be greatly appreciated... Best Wishes to all - Be Well.
insearchofprat

Showing 9 responses by rodman99999

Q) "Would it play if it was setup for 12AU7s with AX7s in it?"      A) Yes, it easily could. As mentioned; those two tubes are usually interchangeable.               ".... someone seemed to have a reference / familiarity to the preamp, and told me it was originally designed for 12AU7s... "          That could very well be the issue(someone, along the line, trying to hot rod the pre).
A suggestion: Turn the Parasound’s level controls all the way down and your preamp’s volume knob to where you want it, at what you desire as your highest/max position.      If you can choose, do this procedure in Mono mode.        Play what you know to be a CD recorded at a high level, with a good center image.      Turn each channel’s level control up (slowly) to obtain your highest, typically enjoyed, listening level/SPL, with a solid center image.      Listen in Stereo mode.        If you don’t like the sound: like knotscott said.....
No, you should not be concerned.      You can either download or read the owner’s manual from Parasound, here: https://parasound.com/pdfs/vintage/hca750_1000om.pdf      You’ll find instructions, under Level Controls, on page 7.      Here’s a more detailed explanation, of what you’re facing: http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/471/~/what-is-an-amplifier-gain-control%3F#:~:tex...      Read the tutorials at the bottom of the page, for more insight.      You’ll note, if you read the Parasound manual; it mentions that the amp will sound best with the level control set to max.      That’s because at max, the control’s resistances (crappy traces, typically) are bypassed.      Only you can judge whether a lower setting matters, to your ears.
".....would switching to a 12AU7 instead of the 12AX7 make a diff?"      Yes; in most cases, the 12AX7, 12AT7 and 12AU7 are interchangeable (gain factors of 100, 60 and 17 to 20, respectively).      That could actually be your best bet, but- check with your pre’s designer, first.
btw:   What do you have to lose, by trying your Morrison?      I used to own a Placette Passive Volume Control.      Unfortunately; the rest of my system, at the time, didn't have enough gain, for the SPLs I enjoy, with many of my CDs and vinyls.   With recordings done at higher levels and no compression; I loved the transparency.    
Here’s a thread that mentions the Wolze as using two 12AU7s:      https://www.audioshark.org/pre-amps-9/wolze-triode-line-level-preamp-4421.html      Dave Wolze actually replied to the post and didn’t dispute the mentioned tube compliment.                             Confirmation, perhaps?
@ insearchofprat - Installing a pair of 12AU7 tubes, should result in (around) 1/5th the gain of the 12AX7 and correct levels to your power amp.      Be certain the tubes are tested and rated as, "Low Noise".
@ insearchofprat - With the Wolze; you can roll 12AU7 tubes and tailor your sound, to your heart’s content.             From what I’ve read about the Morrison; you can enjoy some wonderful transparency.     Two very nice pieces/great potential.     Have fun and happy listening!
The only possible drawback that I saw, was having two level knobs to adjust.      The simplest, shortest path, is generally the best sounding.        When all the stars are aligned, that is.       KUDOS!