Should I add a Preamp to my system

Tekton D.I. -> Parasound A21->myteK Brooklyn Dac using the digital audio potentiometer. Need for a Preamp or no. I had a Hovland and I think it sounded better but that could just be my brain not remembering quite right. If not I would like to put the money into a new Phono pre. Am I going to gain $4000 worth of better sound if I buy a pre?
128x128bryantdrew
"The Brooklyn represents Mytek’s next step in the evolution of its “entry-level” yet full-featured DACs. The $1995 Brooklyn is not only a DAC, but also a preamplifier for both analog and digital sources, a headphone amplifier that supports single-ended and balanced cans, and a phono preamplifier for both moving-coil and moving-magnet cartridges. The Brooklyn also comes with its own dedicated control app that allows you to operate all the Brooklyn’s functions from your computer as well as perform software updates." -- Steven Stone, Sep 06th, 2016 The Absolute Sound.

The Brooklyn is a preamp as well as a DAC. Unless you want tubes or a different SS signature I don’t see the need for adding another preamp.

I would certainly look at the Herron audio vtph-2a phono pre, which can be the cornerstone of any analog front-end. It’s remarkable. I heard the Brooklyn at RMAF - not a good medium. I had a well regarded ss pre but prefer tubes. my inbound is a tube dac 😊 Cheers
I had similar dillema to Yours. I have Berkeley Alpha DAC with digital volume control to my active Backes&Muller speakers and think dont need a preamp. In the manual of Berkeley they said: If You dont want loss fidelity dont use a pre.
I tried some budget pre and overall sound was worst. 
Next I tried better preamps of my friends in my system ( Mark Levinson no26, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2) and I like it more.
Finally I bought tube Joule Electra LA-150mkII and couldnt be happier, now sound is more palpable, rich and colorfull with ubeliveble weight.
So summary, If You want preamp it must be really the good one