Shocked removed spikes, used blue tack, what other non spike footer

My floor standing speakers, monitor stands always came with spikes so I used them always, it's the way they were designed at least I thought. I know everyone can't do this because of there floor type, mine is hardwood over concrete slab. Bass, more natural tone( I'm a tone junkie)  gives the music a nice rhythm, may just be flavor of month but I'm really enjoying it. Highs maybe little rolled off, I just did it yesterday, maybe not as hifi, but no lose of information. Have other people experienced this.Can someone with my floor type suggest a nice reasonable priced non spiked footer, these are floorstander filled with shot so pretty heavy,maybe 70- 80 lb. thanks

paulcreed

Showing 4 responses by cd318

Yes, it's well worth checking out various isolation products. They're relatively inexpensive and can produce an easily discernible effect.

Speakers on spikes have long been known to suffer far greater levels of vibration through their baffles than those with only simple rubber feet.
@cheeg, a friend of ours has a pair of beautiful Eltax Symphony floorstanding loudspeakers (part of a 5:1 system) stood on a double (?) layer of carpet. 

Of course we tut-tutted and muttered a few comments about what the reviewers would say about speakers that wobbled when touched. But guess what? They sounded good, far better than you'd guess by just looking.

Later on another friend stood his floor standing Kef 55s on two slate tiles, no spikes. He's convinced that that they sound better, and I am too. Just a touch more organic and less harsh.

Perhaps they a touch less sharp and precise, but the trade off is worth it for a more relaxing listening experience.

It's a complicated business, at least for me. Better isolation will let you hear the drivers better with a cleaner sound mainly due to reduced baffle/cabinet/ drive unit chatter and resonance. I think.

But that's not always a good thing because a loudspeaker is the sum of its parts and the way they interact. Sometimes cleaning up the sound gives the impression of a weak bass performance.

Especially for designs that don't sound particularly full in the first place. Those kind of speakers that need turning up loud to sound full may never sound full enough once the sound has been cleaned up by isolation in this manner. 
So you could end up with a result of a cleaner but thinner sound, is losing more than you gain.

On the other hand isolating can work wonders with speakers that might suffer from slight bass heavy / muddy signatures.

@audiopoint, great stuff, keep it  coming. Fascinating subject.

Something tells me they’ll still be trying in vain to disprove Relativity in a 100 years time.

The artistic masterpiece of the 20th century.