Shipping Questions - First Time Seller

I'm preparing to sell my old ARC amplifier, and while the Audiogon FAQs cover most aspects of selling, I'm unsure how best to prepare the amp for shipping (I want to have all my details worked out before I post the classified). I have all the original double box packaging from ARC. I assume I should remove the tubes, wrap them in bubble wrap, and put them on the chassis under the cage? The original packaging doesn't have any place for the tubes external to the amp itself. Since the packaged weight is 80 lbs, is the ARC packaging sufficient by itself? When I purchased this amp the dealer delivered it and set up the system, so I don't know if he received the amp in a crate, on a pallet, etc. Lastly, since the boxed amp is very awkward to carry (really needs two people), does UPS come to your door? Thanks for your advice, I want to make sure that when I do sell it, the potential buyer gets the amp in the same condition I sent it.
palewin

Showing 1 response by nick778

80 lbs isn't that much for common carriers such as UPS or Fedex Ground as long as it is properly packaged. I would use the original boxes and have it reboxed in another box with large bubble wrap or foam all around the original box; don't ever use peanuts.

Obviously, shipping LTL on a pallet is going to be the safest way but will cost about double what regular ground shipping will be and would affect the sales price of the amp if you take this into acount as the buyer may be reluctant to pay for LTL palletized shipping with liftgate service.

Both UPS and FedEx are in 'tight' mode due to the economy and are very reluctant to pay claims. If you do ship it common carrier, I would take pictures of the original box, the amps, the amp in the box and the second box with the foam in it just in case something happens.

I worked at FedEx for 20 years. My 2 cents.

PS-Anything over 100 lbs I would ship by LTL pallet.