Shipping prices and buyers...

HAve people noticed a reluctance on the part of buyers to pay ACTUAL packaging and shipping prices after they have made a purchase? USPS is actually economical betwee NA countries, but people who demand undamaged goods, and quick delivery must know that we as hobbists want to assure that the buyer gets honest goods, and, the audiophile does not set the prices of shipping, Or double boxing, which some buyers insist on...
Comments....
Ag insider logo xs@2xivanj
As a former retailer and have done far more than my share of shipping over 40 years here's the scoop. First of all make quite clear in the ad that shipping costs are borne by the buyer-PERIOD. Even if I have OBM I will box in another box just to insure safe delivery. Make no mistake the buyer should be aware of the fact that the shipping companies are not your partner. You have no profit in shipping. When I list an item,with the exception of CDs,shipping is clearly stated. I would much rather walk away from a deal,if the buyer starts haggling with shipping costs. I won't do it,as it further erodes not only profit but your integrity as well. There is always another buyer for your product. I do not endorse excessive shipping cost. But for the product to arrive safe and sound,requires due diligence on the seller and shipper. I have long ago abandon USPS and UPS. Just to many claims for my liking. For the past 2 years have used FedEx Ground Services with excellent results,have yet to file a claim with FedEx. Plus my customers have been most happy with the FedEx Service.
I'm going through this now. I purchased an item at a specific price with a specific fee for shipping it. The buyer agreed on the price and then discovered shipping was twice what he thought. Another $400 was requested by the seller. He offered to refund my money until he discovered that Paypal would keep his transaction fee, and he was worried the same thing would happen with Audiogon and he would be out over $200.
We negotiated to split the difference, but I think neither of us is "happy" with the way this transaction turned out.