Shipping a VPI TT, Arm & Cartridge. Help Needed

I just purchased a VPI HW-19 MKIII TT, an SME 309 tonearm with a Benz Ref Silver cartridge. I had my uncle in California pick it up for me. I am in PA, so it has a long journey and I am very nervous about the items getting here safely! He is near the San Francisco/San Jose/San Mateo area and I am wondering if there is a reputable hi-end audio store around there that could pack it safely for him or maybe even one of you guys could help out? Thanks for any help, Jeff
musky1963

Showing 3 responses by musky1963

I thought about it, but it also makes me cringe to possibly have an 18 yr. old employee/trainee with multiple piercings/tattoos, taking apart an expensive TT with a pair of pliers. Probably wouldn't even take it apart anyways. Most people think of turntables as $99 nostalgia pieces with cheap disposable, snap in needles. Would rather stick with other options if possible. I realize they(UPS) will cover damages if they pack, but that is a ALOT of red tape and even more waiting. They might give me a hard time replacing a $2000 Benz or an SME arm.
I was hoping that there was a hi-end shop around San Jose that would know how to dismantle it and pack it up safely in several boxes. Once the arm and cartidge were removed, they could be shipped in seprate boxes. Maybe carefully wrapped a large pill bottle, put in a well padded box for the Benz? Of couse the platter, motor in seperate boxes as well as the cover. Not sure on packing the arm though. If it were about 2000 miles closer, I would go pick it up myself :)