Shiit yggdrasil

I purchased this dac a few months back and I am absolutely blown away by how much I enjoy listening to it. I have owned a Bi-dat, Ayre QB DSD, Resolution Audio, PS Audio and many others as well as in home demo of very expensive Chord, Aesthetics and DCS gear. Nothing has sounded this good in my room in my system( Devore Fidelity, Line Magnetic - other products I absolutely love). Please forgive my lack of detailed description and hyperbole as I know many of us hear and experience reproduced sound differently so you might hate it. This is just a recommendation to try it. I am so glad I did. and wanted to share my experience.

I've been preaching this all along that R2R Ladder Multibit dacs have it all over DSD (Delta Sigma) dacs for "Redbook" replay conversion. As they are "bit perfect" in their conversion, and not a facsimile of it, like DSD Delta Sigma conversion dacs do.

These expressive quotes from Mike Moffat (Schitt) hits the nail on the head.

We’ve thrown out delta-sigma D/As and traditional digital filters to preserve the original samples all the way through from input to output.

21 Bits, No Guessing: Mission-Critical D/A Technology
When doctors are trying to diagnose whether you have gas or cancer from MRI results, or when the military is trying to ensure a missile hits an ammo dump and not a nunnery next door, they don’t use “24 bit” or “32 bit” delta-sigma D/A converters. Instead, they rely on precision, multibit ladder DACs, like the Analog Devices AD5791. This allows them the bit-perfect precision they need for critical applications, rather than the guesswork of a delta-sigma. We chose this same critical technology for Yggdrasil. Following these unique D/A converters are sophisticated discrete JFET buffers and summers.

I heard at one guy’s house,wasn’t impressed at all. Modern DACs from the big manufacturers are all damn good nowadays, there’s no point in spending big bucks on a DAC. Make sure the DAC you get can do NOS mode though, that is the key.
I've had several DACs over the years, most recently the Wyred4sound DAC2. For those looking for a reasonably priced DAC and don't care about DSD or preamp functions, this DAC sounds unlike anything else I have ever heard. Detail, soundstage, realism...as others have said, it just sounds so different. If using USB, I found a good USB cable and the addition of a Wyred4sound Recovery an additional benefit.
+1 for all the raves on the Yggy. For those on a tighter budget, the newer multibit version of Schiit's Gungnir (or the old one + factory upgrade) go a long way towards the tech & sound of the Yggy at $1249. Very pleased with Schiit Audio and these dacs in particular. Really astounding value. Cheers,
Spencer
Post removed