Shifting absolutes

I read Mr Valin's recent review of the Raidho 4.1. Previously, I was under the impression that the absolute sound was based on neutrality and fidelity to the source material. Now I read that the ultimate loudspeaker incorporates various distortions (bass bumps, damped highs and the like) designed to enhance the sound of the source material. As per Mr Valin, if we obtain these speakers, we will likely need to install extra bass traps and play with port plugs, in order to tame the distortions that were intentionally incorporated into the speaker design. This is all presented so logically and with such confidence. Am I missing something?
psag

Showing 2 responses by zd542

If your reading that from an audio magazine, its more likely that they are missing something, not you. As far as I know, the absolute sound in audio is referred to an actual instrument, voice, etc being played live. So if you are somewhere listening to someone play a piano, the piano itself is the absolute sound. If you are trying to reproduce the absolute sound, the idea is to get the sound as close as possible to the live event; nothing added or taken away. Anyway, that's how I've always understood it.
"09-18-13: Stringreen
Yes but everything sounds different in different venues. I am a violinist, well acquainted with the sound of my instrument, but in each hall I play, it sounds like a different instrument. There are no absolutes"

Sorry if I wasn't clear. That's what I meant. The absolute sound, as I know it, would be you playing your violin, in one place, at one time. That would be the original source. If you play somewhere else, the AS would be that event. Going by that, the goal of recording and playback would be to transport the listener as close as possible, to what one would experience had they actually attended your event and heard it live.

Not to get too far off topic, but have you ever compared how a violin sounds when you play it and then give the exact same violin to someone else and listen to them play? I've always wondered about that.
More to discover