Shelter 901 MkII

Anyone w/ knowledge of the up comming Shelter 901 Mk II cartridge w/ its new pricing vs the original 901
mikie
Did anybody have tried the combination between 901 mk2 and jelco 750d, I'm really interested in this shelter for next match.
I think that designers of cartridges and cars should stick with good designs and allow them to remain affordable rather than trying to improve on something that needs no improvement. the result of "new and improved" may not be better and the raising of the price makes users of the original model feel angry at the company for pricing them out. I like the original 901 and feel it needs no improvement and now cannot afford a Mark 2 901. The company has alienated me in this regard.
Haven't heard the MkII but the Shelter 901 MkI is one of my all time favorite pieces of hifi gear. In a Linn Ittok LVII arm on a LP12 with good tube gear and good speakers it can be almost breathtakingingly delightful (that's very good :) from the very low end thru the mids to the very top end - with great imaging; it does everything.
There's not that much of a difference, it's just marginally better in all areas than the Mk1. With new Mk1's available for as little as 1200 dollars and the Mk2 costing twice as much, it's a huge amount more for little additional improvement, from my experience. If both mine got nicked (or something) I'd replace the Mk1 only.
thks for the insight Sprog. i am however a bit confused abt the "there's not a great deal in it" remark... were you referring to the cart's value for money?
I have both 11flat6 (and the 90x). The mk 2 is a bit more refined all round than the mk1, and just as exciting to listen to, but there's not a great deal in it, in my experience.
has anyone managed to compare the orig. 901 against 901 mk.II? what are the key differences?

do these cartridges generally sound better on "modern" (tight tolerance) or "vintage" arms?
Specifications:
Output: 0.55 mV at 1kHz 5 cm/sec
Magnet: Samarium Cobalt
Coils: 6N OFC (copper)
Cantilever: aluminum-coated boron
System body: anodized aluminum
Frequency Response: 20 - 30,000 Hz / DC Resistance: 9 Ohms
Channel balance: <0.8 dB at 1 kHz
Channel separation: 30 dB at 1 KHz
Stylus: elliptical, 0.3 x 0.7 mil diamond naked
Tracking force: 1.4 to 2.0 grams, depending on the cutting angle
Termination: up to 20 Ohms with transformer, within 100 Ohms with phono amplifier
Weight: 9.1 grams

The motor design is different from the original 901, which has the same specs except output 0.5 mV, DC resistance 14 Ohms, and load impedance 20 Ohms with transformer.

A review of the cartridge appears in Issue 24 of Tone Audio.

$2300

Dealer disclaimer.
There is a review of it in one of the older Tonepublications on line mag. I'm not sure which issue. I haven't tried it.