SHELTER - 501II CARTRIDGE on Technics 1200 Table

I have been reading very good reviews and comments regarding the Shelter 501 II cartridge.

My question is whether this cartridge would be compatible with a Technics 1200 turntable through a Jolida JD 9A phone preamp?

This, in turn, goes to a W4S preamp/amp and then Maggie 3.6 speakers.
dsper

Showing 2 responses by dsper

Sidsip, regarding your post "Shelter and SL 1200 aren't good match. Shelter needs a heavier arm."

Could you please explain why the Shelter needs a heavier arm? I do not really understand table/arm/cartridge matching and would appreciate learning more about it.

Is the problem going to be that it will not track well - that it will "skip"?
So....having read some more about this topic (thank you for the direction, Hesson11!), I know that light weight tone arms work better with high compliance cartridges. I also think I can explain why - whoppee!

The mathematical formulas that would tell you that your tone arm and cartridge selection are compatible (at least mathematically) refer to a sweet spot.

Based on who is writing the guidance, they refer to managing the resonance within the 10 to 14 HZ range, others talk about 9 to 11 HZ being best, etc.

What surprises me is that other posts identify the Denon 103 and the Audio Technica 150MKII as sounding very good with a Technics stock arm. Yet, unless I calculated something wrong, those two cartridges seem to not fall within the resonance sweet spot. I have run a Denon 103R and did not seem to have problems with it.

Do what is this all about?

Is there where fluid dampers and two inch solid wood bases start to play into the discussion?