Shelter 501 or Denon 103 with SME - Anyone tried ?

Hi, has anyone tried it??
To my info SME does not recommend cart with so low compliance.

I would appreciate to know if anyone tried one of the two and which outcome he would report.
Tks
ad010685ed5c

Showing 2 responses by twl

I know that Audiogon member Ethannn has used a Shelter 501 on his SME 309, and had good results. Thorsten Loesch from TNT audio uses an older SME 309 with his Denon 103 and he likes it quite well.
Blcube, the price of the Shelter 501 is about $800 in the US, although up till recently you could get it cheaper from EIFL in Japan. I just checked EIFL's website and they now list it at $750 plus overseas shipping, so there is no reason to order it from them anymore. There is a dealer on here named Audio Revelation, who advertises all the Origin Live stuff on the A'gon Classifieds, and he is a Shelter dealer.

If you have some specific questions, I can tell you just about anything you want to know about it. It's just about the best cartridge you can get under $1500, and it beats alot of cartridges that cost alot more than that. Low compliance and low output, so you need the right arm and enough gain in your phono section.