Shelter 501 Mk II vs Koetsu Black

I did a post some time ago and for some reason it has been deleted. I have been happy with the 501 for almost two years. As I am nearing 1500hrs. on it I am considering a replacement or change. I would be open to opinions from those who have heard both and what you liked or didn't like about them. Thanks in advance.
David
davt

Showing 1 response by eweedhome

I just replaced my 20 year old Koetsu Black with a new Koetsu Black. My turntable dealer (who tends to prefer Lynn and Lyra cartridges) remarked, after installing the cartridge on my Linn, "You've now got that Koetsu technicolor sound."

I don't know--are Koetsus "technicolor?" If so, I'll take two, please. I just love it. I think the review in Stereophile by Art Dudley from last July describes the sound very well, and would refer you to that. I would also say this: In the old days, my impression was that Koetsus weren't the greatest trackers in the world. I've heard since that this is not at all true, and my experience with the new Koetsu on tracking has been terrific.

I'm happy as a clam, FWIW. A dealer I know who sells both the Koetsus and Shelters is very fond of the Shelters and speaks highly of them, but uses Koetsus at home and in the premium demo system I heard.