Shelter 501 Mk 2 vs. Dynavector Karat 17D2 Mk2

Thanks to all who have helped me in the decision in which direction to go with a turntable next. I have decided to explore the direction of the Nottingham Space Deck with the Nottingham Space Arm. With that being said, I have two paths in front of me as to which cartridge and phono section. I have heard great things on both, and have neither to audition locally.

First option would be Nottingham Space Deck with Space Arm and Shelter 501 Mk 2 cartridge, with a modified EAR 834p phono preamp. I have heard the Shelter is a phenominal cartridge and has synergy with this table and arm. I have always leaned toward the sound of tubes as well which draws me to this phono preamp.

Second option would be Nottingham Space Deck with Space Arm and Dynavector Karat 17D2 Mk2 cartridge, with a Dynavector P-75 phono amp. I have heard from a dealer I have visited this combination is stunning. He had sold his floor model Space Deck, thus I was not able to hear it. The "natural" synergy I would imagine the Dynavector cartridge would have with it's own phono amp seems plausible. Also the Dynavector phono would most likely be dead quiet, as the rest of my system has tubes.

So, I ask of the wise ones, which cartridge? I think I am going to determine phono preamp later, but would like first and foremost to know how the Dynavector 17D2 Mk2 compares with the Shelter 501 Mk2 sonically. Also, if you could let me know if you have heard either on the Space Deck with the Space arm. Also, as an aside - I have recently inherited approximately 900 or so albums from my Great Uncle in which the albums range from the late 40's through the mid 70's. From the dozen or so I have cleaned and sampled there was quite audible grain with my Eroica cartridge. I am told some of these older records will sound much better as the stylus of the more expensive cartridges will ride lower in the groove. Any info on which cartridge may be better with these would be helpful as well, but will not be the primary determining factor. Thank you!

As for the rest of my system, you can link to it under this post. All of my analog gear has been sold. MMF-7, Graham Slee, Cardas Neutral Ref. phono cable all gone. Also, my preamp listed the Quicksilver has been sold. It is being replaced with a First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II preamp which should arrive this week.

Any other pertinent info that you may need, let me know.

Thanks again, and happy listening!
audiofankj

Showing 1 response by dogscanskate

Mcrespo71, you hit the nail on the head!!! if you want music go for a dyna, if you want hi fi get the shelter version 501 or 901 or whatever. as for me, i'll take the tunefulness of any dyna...