Shelter 501 II - what to use to clean tip??

There are too many cleaning products on the market these days. Which would you recommend for cleaning the tip of the Shelter 501 cartridge? Thanks cats!!
equinox

Showing 3 responses by twl

I use a matchbook striker to clean mine. I have used this on all my cartridges for over 20 years. Works great and is cheap. Just stroke the stylus once or twice on each contact surface, on the 45 degree angle, like the record groove is passing under it. That's it.

If this bothers you, then there are a number of things, like Record Research liquid, or Zerodust solid that are recommended by cartridge makers.
Yes, RWD, you should see the looks on my friends faces, when I use the cartridge to fire up a Stogie! Just kidding!
I do get some looks, though, when I use this method, because people think that it will damage the cartridge. Hasn't happened in 20 years.
Screw in from the bottom with the nuts on top. This gives you the ability to hold the nuts from turning when you tighten the cartride. The only cartridges you install with the screws on top is one with a threaded body. Keep the stylus protector in place when doing this, please!