Settings for Oppo bdp105 used with external DAC (Tambaqui)

I just bought a Tambaqui primarily for streaming and stored file playback using the USB input but thought I’d hook up the Coax digital out from the Oppo BDP105 for playing CDs. I understand that the Oppo will not output anything on the optical and spdif outs when playing SACDs (only HDMI) but I can’t seem to get any signal on the spdif when playing regular CDs. I messed with the audio settings some but haven’t found a combination that works. Any recommendations on how to make this combo work?

Thanks

delkat

Can you clarify what you presently have the Audio settings of the Oppo placed at?  And have you outputted from the Oppo into other DACs?

Are you sure your dac is set to accept the input and that your cable is working? Recheck pages 64-68 of the Oppo manual again. 

I have a brand new Audioquest Carbon digital coax cable. I don’t currently have nor have I used another external DAC with the Oppo. I have a Node hooked up to the Tambaqui via Optical and it works fine. I’ve programmed the Tambaqui input 3 for the spdif and selected that input. 

Oppo Settings:

Playback - I’ve toggled between Multi-channel, Stereo and CD Mode for SACD priority 

Audio Format Setup - Secondary Audio = off, HDMI Audio=LPCM, Coaxial/Optical Output= Bitstream ( I’ve toggled between 48k,96k, 192k LPCM and Bitstream for this). SACD Output = Auto ( toggled between PCM and DSD for this)

Earlier in my digital days I was sending CDs from my Oppo 105 to an LKS DAC using either spdif or optical. It seemed pretty easy so I don’t remember any particular settings. So I wonder whether the settings on your DAC are OK. In any event your set-up is not exploiting your DAC to anywhere near its full advantage.

My own next step was to rip my CDs to a small hard disk, and play using a small laptop and JRiver. JRiver recognized the Oppo with its spdif out on the network as a DLNA streaming device. IIRC it did play SACDs then as DoP files.

Next step was a real streamer and on and on.

Yes, my next step is adding a Auralic Aries G2.1 or Grimm Audio streamer.

I tried all the different audio settings on the Oppo today and also swapped the fiber optic cable that is working with the Node to the Oppo using the same input into the Tambaqui and nothing.  So it's not a bad SPDIF cable.

Problem solved.  I threw in a Chesky Records demo disc when trying this out not realizing it was an SACD so no SPDIF/Optical out on SACDs only HDMI for copyright protection. It works great with a normal Redbook.

Thanks for the inputs.