Setting up RB 300?

I have a Tecnodec with a RB 300 arm w/ Arum beta S cartridge.

What is the proper way to set everything up to break in properly?

The cartridge has been mounted to the arm.

Thanks
balrog

Showing 2 responses by restock

Why not? I let the motor spin the platter for two days (without playing the needle). Most bearings freeze if they are not used for a longer time. I have seen a lot of shops, that let their Rega's spin all the time to avoid warm up and restarts of the AC motor. Aren't Nottingham tables designed to run without stopping and starting?

Breaking in the needle is more difficult: I usually use some Records that I don't like, change them every 20 minutes and try not to listen. At least this get's me past the first 10-20 hours. In particular the Denon DL103 was a pain before it was actually listenable.

Rene
Hello from another tecnodec owner....
If the cartridge has been installed by your dealer, one would hope that it has been aligned properly. You could check the alignment with the Rega paper jig that should have come with your table, however the it is not the most accurate jig and is slightly off from the alignment I measure with the DB protractor. Asuming the cartridge is aligned properly, you just have to set VTA as described above by Gthirteen.

And one more thing: Terry (tlh28) has some problems with the motor pulley on his tecnodec, see our conversation in another thread ("VPI Scout or Michell Technodec?" by ).

After setting up it might still take a while until the new cartridge and the motor will be burned in (probably 30+ hours). I left the turntable running for the first two days continuously. My Denon DL103 and my Kontrapunkt A took a long time to burn in.

Enjoy your new table...

Rene