SET the best?

Is SET amplification where we should all end up? I keep reading posts where people tell of their journeys from plenty power to micro power, and how amazing SET amplification is 45 set 211 set 845 set otl, and usually, ....with the right speaker. I have yet to read of anyone who has gone the other direction from SET, to High watt beast class A amps or others.
If your speakers can be driven by minimal wattage, is this the most realistic, natural sound we can achieve? versus say, 86db sensitive speakers and a 1000w amp?
Is the end result solely based on speaker pairing? circuit? tubes?

I am in the process of changing my direction in my search for realistic sound, just because, and wondering if this really is the best direction to be going.
From what I have been reading I think it may be.

What do we get with SET? What do we give up?

What's you favorite color?
hanaleimike
Yeah...close most of the speaker options and open up pretty much all the amp options. 
I learned the lesson of speaker efficiency a long time ago. When I hear systems that have low efficiency speakers and a high power amp, they sound 'little' compared to what I'm used to...
If you like what you hear with an SET based total system, and can afford it, then that's the way to go.  However, if low efficiency speakers make a come-back and you like their sound better than your SET based sound, you'l need some new electronics. 
SET the best?

Is SET amplification where we should all end up? I keep reading posts where people tell of their journeys from plenty power to micro power, and how amazing SET amplification is 45 set 211 set 845 set otl, and usually, ....with the right speaker. I have yet to read of anyone who has gone the other direction from SET, to High watt beast class A amps or others.
If your speakers can be driven by minimal wattage, is this the most realistic, natural sound we can achieve? versus say, 86db sensitive speakers and a 1000w amp?
Is the end result solely based on speaker pairing? circuit? tubes?

I am in the process of changing my direction in my search for realistic sound, just because, and wondering if this really is the best direction to be going.
From what I have been reading I think it may be.

What do we get with SET? What do we give up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally after some 40 years in audio, I finally got to hear a  SET amplifier in my WBer assist speaker system.
Yes, SET is the ultimate amplifier.
Why?
Because high sensitivity WBers are the ultimate speaker experience.
(excluding  big horn systems of course, obviously...)

With the DEfy7 and a  friends own design of a  EL34 amplifier, both  offer too much power to allow  the linestage frredom in the vol gain pot.
Its just too much current.
The tech geek also has his own 250 SET tube amplifier he designs, and finally got  a  chance to power it up with my new WBer speakers.
Now I a, able to use the vol gain on the DPL at much higher gain  with no stress on the speakers.

The WBers are 92 sens, the W18's are 87.
The 250 tube SET is 6+6 watts.
And the sound is like the Defy/kt88 and EL34, but  with superior gain on the DPL , now the wonders of the gorgeous inner design of the Jadis DPL can kick in its magic, which was basically  locked up with the 2 big PP amplifiers.

For me, the ultimate sound system, starts and ends with
SET + WBers. (or big horns if you can afford)

No doubt about it, PP amplifiers are always trumped by SETs.

You know,,,I 'm wondering,,,the 6 watt SET really drives the low efficiency Seas W18's with massive punch in the bass.,,, The Defy can do the same punch on the W18's, but at a  much lower gain on linestage. 
With the vol gain at 9 oclock on the DPL with the Defy/ and EL34, small listening rm, near field,, thats quite enough SPL..
Now with the SET, I can go 12 oclock on the Jadis DPL linestage  showing no stress on the speakers and the music is  a ~~~bit more~~(are not we all after  the nunaces and gains) ,  detailed, more alive, more colors/deeper soundstage.

IOW the Jadis  Linestage now is unlock and can add its charms along with the gorgeous 250 tubes magic.

EL34/KT88 have their tube charms, but  seem to be more of a  POWER tube, vs a SET's  ability to deepen the soundstage, and  so i am hearing nuances missed with PP tubes. 

IMHO SETs are  the best musical  amplification. 
Have not heard a  300B tube, but know from others testimony, its not their cup of tea.
Trying right now  to find a   845 amplifier, that  is within my limited budget.
Have my eye on one, , waiting for the lister to respond.

SET + High Effiiciency, match made in heaven.

~~~~OP 2009, and here i am in 2021 getting Mike's  drift.

philjolet2,302 posts11-01-2009 7:49amI like SET but you will never resolve this with a post here on Agon because too many disagree. You can not get people to agree on SS or tube as the best let alone SET t

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh for sure.
The 90%+ Audiogon members are sold out on the xover low efficiency types.
SETs really have a  hard time making Wilson's, Vandersteens, Magnepans, come to life.

So SET's have to take  a  back seat for the big PP amps.
My Defy7 100 watts.
But if I can only employ 10 of these watts before  the SPL is overalod in my small lsitening room, near field,, what's the point have all these wtts, i will never use??
My New WBers really work best with SET amplification...Or maybe a  low powered EL34 with triode/linear switch, like a Cayin I had, but sold off, as **being under powered***. The cayin was 25 watts/35watts.
Might have worked better than this big EL34 and Defy.
But again, a  Low powered el34, tube  will not present music as a  good SET tube will.

Big SS/PP amps rule around Audiogon.
Note how so few SETs are up for sale.
Once folks add a  SET, its a keeper for life.