SET--Cary/Sophia 300/845 bassed amps

I have read much. It seems I know even less. I have Montana EPS and never listen very loud. There are several amps in this category within my budget --under 3k. There are two of the Cary300se kr20's and others that are similar;in the adds now. What to get?? Do any of these have the hum,some 300bs have?? I'd appreciate any guidance you all might have. Thanks,George
avguygeorge

Showing 2 responses by tpsonic

I would not recommend the Cary 300b amps.If that is your quest,try the VACs.The Sophia 300b doesn't stack up to their 845s.When looking at SET amps,make sure the input/driver tubes can swing a fair amount of voltage/current.Once those dynamics are gone,they won't be coming back.Just a two cent thought.Happy hunting!
You might be surprised at reviewers' systems.Especially the set-up,with things changing constantly.There are a few,but you usually have to read between the lines.If you can determine a persons'biases,then you can inflect that "tint" upon their observations.
I believe myself to be a hi frequecy maniac.If cymbals and brass can't retain their individual transients and harmonics-count me out.I must admit that I love the sound of cellos and tubas ,well recorded and reproduced.Percussion and tympani coming a distant second.