SET amplifier (for AvantGarde Duo's-original) recommendations

Hello all,
I inherited the above speaker and I have been really enjoying them.  I also have a pair of Thiel 3.7s- paired with pass labs xa60.5's (and it works!) which I also love albeit they are very different animals from the DUO's as you can imagine.

Right now I am focusing on the Duo's and have used them both with Pass Labs and a Mastersound Compact 845- both are great but there is something about the DUO's driven by this 845 SET that is magical.   The problem is that the 845 was dropped and developed a hum.  A technician went through it and managed to reduce the hum but it is still there and it bugs me- I am not sure if one of the transformers itself may have been damaged and that isn't really repairable at reasonable cost, though I will speak to Mastersound to hear their thoughts. I should add that the amp used to be dead quiet and generally Masetrsound makes superb amps- and are renown for their transformers.

So I am now starting to think about alternatives solutions- I would like to either stick to a SET of comparable quality (that is known to be relatively quiet with efficient speakers)- maybe a 300b type just for a change, or even an OTL.

There's a lot of stuff out there at the moment, take the Line Magnetics that are floating around (but would they compare to Mastersound in terms of build quality etc?) and I was hoping to get some insights on what you think would work well.  I have read a lot of reviews and while helpful at times I feel they are almost always positive and a little too generic  when comparing similar products.  I'd like to stick to a $5k or so budget (therefore I would look for something used).

pgastone

I have the line magnetic class a  845 ia, have 

Upgraded all the tubes, and every time I listen 

It puts a smile on my face. Best of luck on your 

Journey.

The Avantgarde Duo is magical with the Lamm ML2. There are a few things I did to bring up the bass to the level of the mid-horn, both in terms of quantity and quality. But the Lamm adds an extra dimension to the sound that makes the combination sound more like real instruments, especially on small combo jazz. I have lived with variations on this system for about 15 years in a couple different rooms. The speaker definitely benefits from a large room.

I don’t typically play "audiophile" records-- most are standard issue pressings from back in the day. I had a visitor today for whom I played "I Ain’t Superstitious" from a UK EMI/Columbia first press of Truth. He said it made him want to go home and throw away his copy (probably an Epic). With bass supplementation, you can get the texture and tonality of the bass to play like the mid-horns. The other ingredient for me was a change of cartridge- I had the usual suspects over the years- top line Lyra, Airtight. The Koetsu stone bodies add a level of gravitas and dimension to the bass that I have not heard with other cartridges on this system. So, it is more than just the amp-- but I consider the Lamm a necessary, if not sufficient, element of the combination. The bass was, to me, always the issue with the Duo-- in stock form it either sounds anemic or discontinuous. Now, it is all of a piece. And extremely enjoyable, top to bottom.

PS: Sorry, you won't find the Lamm at 5k, but perhaps double that, used. 

Check my system out at AGon or AA inmate systems. Been using Duos and Atma-sphere M 60s for 20 years. M60s used would definitely fit within the prescribed budget.

I can suggest the Erhard Ray. Listening to it right now. Will come in under way under budget. Dead quiet. Premium transformers. Suggest you wear Depends as you may lose control of bodily functions.

What a cool set of speakers. at 110dB, you need one watt or less in most listening situations.

I have a Tektron (italian maker) Amp that uses 45, 2A3, or 300b and the 45’s are less than 2 watts and more than enough with my 96dB speakers. The 845s are actully way more than you need. Mastersound makes great amps. Sorry this one isn’t doing well.

Decware makes a magical 2 watt amp, the SE84UFO2. You’ll have to find one on the used market since there is a 2 yr wait. If you go on the Decware forum and post that you have an utracool set of speakers that you’d like to listen to with a decware amp, a local owner will likely bring his amp over for a listen. I would.

The new Aric audio 2A3 looks interesting but I haven’t heard it.

Or have an amp custom built. that would be the way to go.

Jerry