Service question: Who can service an Esoteric UX-1 CD/SACD player modified by APL NWO 3.0?

I recently sold my Esoteric UX-1 CD/SACD player with the DAC section modified by APL to the NWO 3.0 DAC. Unfortunately soon after the buyer purchased the unit the SACD laser pickup in the transport mechanism failed, although it had been working when I shipped the unit (CDs can still be played, just not SACDs). The buyer inquired with TAP Electronics, Esoteric’s national service center in the US, and they asked him to ship the unit to them, knowing it had been modified by APL, but then they refused to repair the unit because it was modified by APL. TAP Electronics inquired with Esoteric in Japan who also refused to repair the unit for the same reason. This is frustrating because even though the DAC section has been modified, it is the laser pickup in Esoteric’s transport mechanism that has failed, and yet Esoteric appears unwilling to support its customers by providing a path to service and repair the transport in this very high end (read expensive) piece of audio equipment. I have inquired with Keith Haas, the national sales manager for Esoteric, and after initially sending me an email saying he would “dig into this” and get back to me, he has gone silent and isn’t returning my emails now.

So my question is, does anyone know who else in the US can service the unit, meaning replace the SACD laser pickup?  I like for buyers of my pre owned audio equipment to be fully satisfied with their purchase. Obviously the buyer of my APL modified Esoteric unit is not satisfied as he thought the unit would play both CDs and SACDs. I am trying to assist him in finding a way to get it fixed. In any case I will work with him to find a mutually satisfactory resolution.

johnax

I would call parts connection in Burlington Ontario. Yes I know it would be out of country but they sell parts and work on units from around the world. So from there stand point I am sure they can guide you on shipping requirements etc. 

Having worked in electronics manufacturing (and repair) for many years, I can assure you that most (if not all) OEMs do not want to deal with repair of units that have been modified by a third party. Their procedures and manuals are written to service units as-manufactured, and they cannot return to service any units that fall outside the scope of the OEM documentation (unless of course the modifications were factory-authorized, in which case the OEM documentation would exist).

I think this is a case of caveat emptor. The UX-1 is an old player and anyone buying a player of that age is taking a big gamble as regards the continued functioning of the machine, and the laser in particular. The fact that the player was modified is self-evidently going to cause problems in terms of it being serviced by the manufacturer. Really, it is up to the buyer to be aware of those facts, but it never does any harm for the vendor to point those things out to the buyer for the avoidance of doubt in the event that a problem arises. Its unfortunate that the SACD pickup failed so soon after purchase but (certainly in Europe at least) it is at the vendor's discretion as to whether to take the machine back out of goodwill. That is based on the description above that the machine worked perfectly before and (albeit briefly) after it's receipt by the new owner. There appears to be a laser assembly for the player for sale on ebay at an affordable price. Lastly, I would ask the Esoteric service agents whether there is actually a spare part available (independent of the question of whether they would supply it), as there may very well not be.

Several people have suggested reaching out to APL. We have done that and APL has offered to assist if possible. APL’s main office is based in Bulgaria which likely requires expensive shipping costs. Also APL may or may not have the laser pickup in stock.

I did hear back from Keith at Esoteric and I understand that one solution proposed by TAP to the buyer is shipping the unit to APL, asking APL to remove the transport and ship the transport to Esoteric in Japan where Esoteric can replace the laser pickup, and then Esoteric could ship the transport back to APL, who could reinstall it into the unit and return the repaired unit to the buyer. While this may work it is a complex process requiring several legs of shipping across the globe.

This is a complex situation given that TAP has apparently decided they will not remove the transport and ship it to Esoteric in Japan for repair due to their concerns about doing damage to the unit in the process. According to fatdaddy2’s post most OEM service centers won’t work on modified units. I don’t know if that is the case, but as a consumer who spent a lot of money on this unit, it is certainly disappointing. 
I intend to resolve this with the buyer, likely by refunding him a portion of the sale price, and move on. I appreciate the input posted here.