Server instead of new CDP?

I was thinking of replacing my aging Music Hall CD-25.2, but then thought that maybe I should look into a server instead.  As a minimum, I'd want to not have a drop in sound quality from the Music Hall.  The rest of my existing system is the JoLida Fusion DAC/Pre, Stratos Odyssey power amp, and Thiel CS 2.4 speakers.  Kimber for the cabling.  

I don't care much about WiFi or ethernet connectivity; I don't download music at all.  If I had the option of downloading to my main system, that might change...but it might not.  Presently, my second system has WiFi and I occasionally use Spotify to try out some new music, but I always buy a physical CD for anything I want to keep.    

It's important that I not need a keyboard or mouse to play music.  I would prefer the unit to have internal storage, but I've got an unused 1TB USB drive, so internal storage is not a firm requirement.  Budget is $1000.  

lee_short

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

It isn't as easy entering meta data into Bluesound as it is on the Mac, basically 1 extra step.  Otoh, the Bluesound gets the metadata right much more frequently than iTunes does
I am a little confused.  Which system do you want this player for?
If it is your first, does your DAC have a USB input?  If so, is the quality of the USB input equivalent to the other inputs?  If it had a decent USB input then that expands your possibilities.
  I use a Mac Air as a server, and forgo having to type by using an iPad as a controller.  In another system I use Bluesound, which also is controlled with an iPad app. The Bluesound Vault has 2 TB hard drive but will be slightly out of your budget.  The Mac could be used with your hard drive and might be cheaper, as would a Mac Mini.
  Neither system is perfect at identifying meta data and both require
some typing occasionally to correctly label albums.  I think that if you truly intend upon never having to type, then a server won't work for you, and I would stick to CDs