Seriously? Why Buy ARC Ref 6SE? seems Benchmark LA4 is a better choice.

And costs only a few grand vs soooo much more for a ref 6se preamp.  Benchmark LA4 Does HT bypass very easily.  
I am at a profound loss.  what the heck is going on inside the Ref 6se box.  What the heck does it all do? 
6se is very pretty but Benchmark LA4 also looks nice. And the McIntosh c1100 preamp is also very pretty.  Frankly, what justifies buying a preamp at such a high price?? It is supposed to be a neutral pass thru of a signal.
emergingsoul
Odd that there is limited info available about internal design flow of a preamp.  Maybe a diagram showing signal flow.

this would be of interest to many. or maybe not.
Maybe if you did some research you could figure out the signal flow, or maybe not.
If you seriously think the Benchmark preamp is "the better choice", then that's what you should buy. I envy your lack of discrimination.
@aewarren 

If you seriously think the Benchmark preamp is "the better choice", then that's what you should buy. I envy your lack of discrimination.
A statement like that makes me think that you have never heard the LA4. I have heard some very expensive ARC gear,  I guess that must mean it was some of their better gear. 

Easy question in this discussion,  do want you preamp to add sound or no sound? That is the "discrimination" decision.
@yyzsantaabarbara
I thought we were talking about the Op's choice in preamps not mine. I already have a preamp that I am more than happy with. If you find the Benchmark to your liking, then go for it. For my system and my tastes, I prefer the ARC. For anyone who finds one equal to the other, I envy you because you can be satisfied while spending less money.