Seriously considering tube preamp…opinions?

Tube virgin, here. I am building a system and I'm trying to contain the preamp/amp cost to $3k or so. (I could go up a little.) 

I'm inclined not to dive into tubes all the way through, but get a solid state on the output end. (Open to suggestions; inclined toward PS Audio, Parasound.) I'm reading around about tube preamps and have talked with my local dealer, who sells Black Ice/Jolida and Prima Luna (PL). He used to carry Rogue but said they kept coming back for repairs. That's why he carries PL.

I'm asking these questions after having established (via reviews, comments) that Schiit gear is quite the value. Lately, I've been reading about Decware and other small tube makers. I'm very curious about buying direct, if possible, and a company that stands behind their products is crucial.

So, your opinions about tube integrated or *especially* tube preamps —

1. Who do you like? Consider I want to do pre/amp for a total of $3k if possible.

2. Do you think PL is worth all that money just for a preamp? I get the feeling they're high quality but a bit over-hyped. (No disrespect to the highly passionate Kevin Deal, but he's all over my search results.) And what would you think about $2k/$1k preamp-to-amp spending ratio?

3. Any sense of what happened to Jolida since the name change to "Black Ice"? I see there's a sordid story there but did the re-branding clear up the mess? Any experiences with the Black Ice company?

4. I know there are many Schiit fans out there; so my question would be -- did anyone consider Schiit for tube preamp and go another way? Or move beyond Schiit for any particular reason? It's hard not to just capitulate and do a Freya+ or Saga+ but why wouldn't one just go with Schiit?

128x128hilde45
I suggest a Sonic Frontiers Line 1, 2 or 3 as a great place to start, maybe even finish. 

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/769/index.html

And Parts Connecxion in Canada still services and repairs them.
https://www.partsconnexion.com/
I currently have a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Preamp with EVO 300 Mono Blocks in one of my systems and I love them.  I was a tube virgin myself a year ago.  I've had zero issues and I'd gladly spend the extra money for honestly, overbuilt components again. It has diminished my initial "tube phobia" greatly.  The tube sparkle and expansive soundstage is a great contrast to my other solid state system.  IMHO Kevin Deal's excitement about PrimaLuna's offerings as a whole is firmly justified. 
Aesthetix Calypso is a great buy and you can snag one for under $2500
if you can stretch your budget then look at Allnic Audio. They have the reputation of being bulletproof and the one I just bought a while back sounds fantastic.