Serious Question About Silver vs Copper Conductivity for Power

Yes, I realize that this topic is going to bring out the sharks, but if I get at least one serious response, it will all be worth it.

I understand that silver conducts 7% faster than copper.  I also understand that using a dielectric insulation like Teflon is best at keeping the wire from overheating, stopping signals entering and stopping signals from leaving the conductor. I understand that a certain amount of math is involved in selected gauge of wire depending largely on how much power the component is going to take, and how much the amperage is (20 or 15).

My question is regarding certain features applied to either silver or copper conductors that may or may not have an advantage over one or the other.

I have the Kimber Kable P14 Palladian.  This uses 14awg copper conductors insulated in Teflon.  Then it adds a massive filter that attempts to mitigate the standing wave ratio to as close to 1:1 as possible. I had Kimber’s Ascent power cable prior.  It’s identical to the Palladian, except the filter. I have heard the difference between using those two cables.  Apparently, mitigating the standing wave ratio lowers the noise floor significantly. However, any filter that chokes the signal and will slow the electrical current.

As I understand it, the amplifier works by opening the rectifier to allow the capacitors to fill with energy that the system will draw from.  Being able to keep the rectifier open and fill the capacitors as fast as possible, reducing lag time, has the effect of creating more realistic and detailed sound.

With that said, changing to a power cable that uses pure silver insulated in Teflon, will ensure that power is delivered potentially faster.  Although, the silver power cable will NOT have a filter.  Therefore the standing wave ratio will not be mitigated and the electrical signal will not be choked either.

So, would the amplifier benefit from faster electrical current or slower, but cleaner electric current?  Since this signal isn’t directly applied to sound, the concepts of “colder” or “warmer” sound should not apply.

Can someone help me out without poking fun at the question?  Additionally, I am not interested in having a cable-theory debate.  If you don’t believe cables make any difference, I will not debate or have discourse on that topic.

128x128guakus

@jea48 

Voltage drop? 

"
Voltage drop is the decrease of electrical potential along the path of a current flowing in an electrical circuit. "

How on Earth does that apply to using this cable?  Who cares what the formula for Voltage Drop is. That in *NO WAY* applies to anything.  Why are you bothering with all this?

Going through that article you posted:

"
The best metal conductor of all is pure silver"

"Silver is an even better conductor than copper, but since it is more expensive, it is only used in very small amounts."

Beyond that, I see nothing in that article that backs anything you have said against applying this cable to the equipment it is currently attached to and running with  no issues.

Again, I am not sure what you think you're trying to prove, but if your goal is to prove that this cable is unsafe, you're failing; miserably.

By all means heat your bare copper wire to over 192 F and see how effective it is at supplying electricity 

I assume you meant 1900f ? 192f isn't going to affect copper wire it might melt some insulators. 

@djones51 

No.  I meant 192F:

"The heat doesn't affect the copper conductors in the wiring. They can handle far higher temperatures than those found in attics. The problem is the plastic insulation and jacketing that surround the wires. These are usually rated to withstand up to 194°F, but temperatures that approach this limit are not recommended."

I don’t deny that conductors can and will degrade overtime. However, there is an electrical feature called, "Dielectric Bias Field." This is where the insulation becomes more polarized over time by electrical flow. The "break in" period is the time it takes the insulation to becomes fully polarized and no longer impacts electric flow.

Your original post talked about silver versus copper, and a few people brought up the dielectric, including myself… as being potentially of greater importance.

If you were concerned with that, then AQ biased cables would have been a choice to consider.

The PC’s, (power cord’s) weakest link is the 7 small solid core silver insulated #28awg wires that make up the Hot and Neutral conductors and the safety equipment ground conductor of the PC. Any flexing of the cable, especially at the power connectors can and more than likely with the passage of time will cause breakage of the small #28awg wires.

@jea48

Accounting the manufacturer the ground is copper. So that is great that the ground if potentially more durable.

The URL says Silver/Silk, but the description says Teflon.
They (Lavri) also recommend it for loads much smaller than amplifiers (As highlighted below) , which others have pointed out with the math on currents, and watts.

• New carefully braided 14 core pure silver mains cable.
• 5 cores of 5N solid silver wire AWG28 are used for Active line and 5 cores for Neutral in order to transfer AC voltage.
• 4 cores of silver plated copper 0.3mm diameter are used for Earth line.
Aimed for Preamp, DAC, Streamer, Headphone amp.
• Unshielded design brings more air & transparency to the soundstage.
• Woven Teflon Litz construction is ideal to deliver RFI and EMI rejection and provides low capacitance.
• 5N silver transmits electrical signals faster and with less distortion than ordinary OFC wires.
• High grade Teflon insulation gives a predominant air dielectric and is regarded as the best insulator for bare cable.

Be patient. The cable is currently burning in. Cook your popcorn and get your incendiary, troll comments ready.

@guakus how are you “burning it in”?

1. Just plugged in and nothing playing?
  2. Or playing some sound?
    1. And then how loud is it playing?
Post removed