Separates or Receiver to modernize home theater?

My home theater is getting dated. I have what was in at the turn of the millennium a top-of-the-line Sony television, picture tubes and all, and while the image technology is still better than anything on the market today for standard definition, I want high definition and a much bigger flat screen set.

So the television will soon be replaced and so too will our DVD player with an OPPO BDP-95. Now comes the harder part — which electronics will I use to connect to my 5.1 system that features a Velodyne DD-15 and Paradigm Signature speakers?

I already have Anthem separates and the Amp is fine — a MCA 50. The problem is my AVM-20, which has, until now, fit my needs and worked flawlessly. Alas, it has no HDMI inputs, and while Anthem offers an upgrade, I hear it's costly, more than double the AVM-20's current value.

So I could either replace just the AVM-20 with an up-to-date processor or replace both Anthems with a receiver, using the extra cash from selling the Anthem amp. Whatever I bought as a replacement would need XLR-balanced inputs for two-channel play since I use the system for both music and movies; for music I listen to a lot of jazz and some classical, pop and classic rock.

As for budget, while I could afford to buy just about anything, I rather not go over-the-top, especially since video technology is so quickly evolving that what one buys now may be dated before too soon (as in the Anthem AVM-20) So the ceiling would be a lot closer to $3,000 or even $2,000 than to $5,000 and up. I'd be open to new or used.

What would you recommend and why? What features should I consider s must-haves or nice-haves?

Thanks all for the help.

- Jon
jonsher

Showing 1 response by noble100

Jonsher,

FWIW. I wholeheartedly agree with the above responses. It would be a step backwards, or downwards, to substitute a receiver for your current very good system- like trading in your sweet sportscar for a minivan. Your audio system is fine and the OPPO solves your HDMI and surround issues nicely, so put the money into the new video setup. You may want to check out the new Panasonic plasma HD models, I read on a video forum, I think it was Videogon, that they supposedly bought and use the same technology used on the excellent Kuros plasmas from Pioneer, which recently withdrew from the HDTV market. When I was looking for an HDTV a few years ago, I really liked the Pioneer picture the best but the price was too steep at $10K. I think the Panasonics go for less than half this. Good luck.