Separates or Receiver for 2K

Any opinions on which to go with; separate prepro/amp or a great receiver - combined use Music and HT - in this price range, used equip OK. Speakers are 6ohm, 88db.
au_man

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"[email protected]":

Let me throw another name in the hat for separates if I was to spend $2K or more for electronics to anchor a home theater/multi-channel audio system (probably totalling about $8K and above). And the setups I would look at that price would include the following:

(01). Outlaw Audio Model 950 Pre/Pro and the matching Model 7100 5 Channel Amplifier -- about $1,700.00 (total).

AND

(02). Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro and their matching RMB-1075 5 Channel Amplifier -- about $2,500.00 (totally). A little above the amount that you were intending to spend. But if you shop around, you could get this combo for somewhere close to $2K.

Those would be my choices for around $2K if it were my money. And like I said, if I am spending that kind of money, I would be looking solely at separates anyway.

If I was to decide to look at a receiver instead of separates (and when I am spending $2K, then that's unlikely to happen), then the only receiver that costs $2K or more that is worth buying to me is the Denon AVR-4802. The Sunfire "Ultimate" Receiver (which is about $4K....... and if you're going to spend that much, then you might as well get you either the TOL Denon AVR-5803 or a B&K) will probably get honorable mention.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting and Listening!!!!

--Charles--