Separate ground for dedicated line

I would like to install a dedicated line or 2 with a separate ground. Would installing a ground rod in my crawl space and running two ground wires from the outlet (1 to the rod and the other to the main breaker box) be acceptable in terms of tying the grounds together? I am not certain where the main ground is located since the power feed to the house is buried with no exposed cables.
I need to do something as the stereo is on a noisy 14 guage lighting circuit. Thanks.
-Stephen
rphsvc

Showing 1 response by gs5556

If you run 2 grounds it would be: a) illegal in most places, and b) a sure-fire recipe for ground loop hums.

A ground is by definition at one point and that point is at the service entry. You are really not gaining anything and giving up a lot safety-wise with two or more separate ground points.

If your service is buried then your ground is most likely a ground rod. But it could be the water pipe also. Just bring the grounds back to the main panel the way it's supposed to be. Isolating the grounds from the receptacle boxes (if using armored cable) is all you need to do to minimize common mode noise from EMI/RFI.