Senn 600 vs AKG 601or 701

Any thoughts or recommedations?
lightfla

Showing 3 responses by robm321

Sounds from headfi that the 701's might be a little better, but the hype machine is running on full speed as people are getting their new phones and being excited about it.

Are there any brick and mortar stores that cary the 701's? Or are they on back order still for a month or more.
No - I don't have any experience with those amps. I think all the ones you've mentioned are very good from everything I've read at headfi.

I didn't bight the bullet on the 701's because the Senn 600 with cardas cable is an amazing phone. I also have the Grado RS-1, AKG K1000, and feel that the Senn 600 is the most nuetral and accurate phone (although I love the musicality of the RS-1 and amazing sound of the K1000). I think the 701 would be too similar to the Senn 600 which I prefer over the Senn 650. So, I haven't had a desire to get it.
The Grado's are good for rock or basically any music with a beat. It sounds good on all music though. The RS-1 with the mahogany sounds really good with acoustic guitars, violins, etc.

After listening to the Grados, the Senns can sound boring simply because the Grados have a much faster transient response.

Let me know how the X-cans sound with the 701's.

Rob