Sending a 110 lb amp to the manufacturer for cleaning/calibration. Good idea? How to ship?

Hi All,

So I reached out to Simaudio as my amp (Simaudio Moon Titan HT200 5 channel) is getting a bit long in the tooth. It performs truly flawlessly and is just beautiful and barely even gets warm after running all day long. I was just more curious than anything about lifespan, etc. Simaudio replied right away. They said all the units they'd manufactured since 2001 are still "active". However they did recommend sending it to them (if I could be without it for a few weeks) for "cleaning and calibration".  

Couple of things, I can't even go 1 day without this unit. But beyond that just the thought of packing this thing up and shipping literally makes me cringe. I'd certainly pay extra if there was some way to avoid UPS/FedEx or any other means like that. Any recommendations and have any of you ever done something like this?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks all in advance...
kingbr
I see in forums folks recommending replacing caps after XX amount of years.  I have a Krell FPB amp from around 2000.  It sounds perfect still to this day.  There are folks here that forgot more than I'll ever know about audio equipment.  But for the life of me, as several have mentioned prior, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Reason I mention this, is FedX scrapped my old KSA200s when Krell shipped it back to me.  I insured for $8k & FedX paid me $3250.  
That amp did need repair.  
The FPB300cx has been sitting in the same spot except for the yearly cleaning ever since it arrived.
I hope this helps with your decision.
-John

Sounds like you have a gem with great meaning to you. My advice is to drive it directly to where they service.  This is the only way you have control over it’s delivery.
Good Luck!
Yeah, missed the “4 hour tour” part... I would definitely be making that drive vs shipping. Not even a question.
By the time you pay for shipping both ways to find out no problem found or pay for a very expensive full capacitor replacement, you are better off stashing the money away for a new or used  amp replacement. The Mark Levinson guy said that because M/L used defective capacitors for years and the amps went into premature failure. I experienced 1of those failures, luckily, it was a known problem with the 300 series amps and they did a full replacement of all the caps which would have been $1000.00 or more. Luckily, I was in driving distance to their Middletown Ct facility so I saved the $200.00 shipping charge. 
Do you have any woodworking skills? I am not sure I would waste time on cardboard or just whip up a box with 2x4 and plywood, though with the price of wood these days, that may cost more than the amp.

https://www.packagingsupplies.com/collections/wood-shipping-crates
https://www.uline.com/BL_427/Standard-Wood-Crates

Don’t waste your time with regular packing foam or anything like that. Get expanding foam bags. They will conform exactly to the amp and box. Big amp like that, you will need 4 or 6 bags: https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2032-1/dp/B00KAFU2SK/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&...

Is it >4 hours each way? That is 16 hours total. 1000 miles. There is a very real cost for your vehicle usage, probably more than shipping.
thanks @arcticdeth great advice and that is exactly my thinking. Making it into a nice day trip/adventure with the wife to include breakfast and stops along the way. And thank you for the kind words on the amp. She really is a beauty which is why I never gave up looking to get my hands on her for something I could afford for the last 20 years:)

Sim responded and said I could do it but I need to declare it (not really sure what this entails but that can't be too painful). They also needed some more info asking if I had the original carton and asked for the serial number. Sent my reply last night and now waiting for next steps. 

@oldhvymec Had the best advice. At that weight you are pretty much stuck using a trucking company. I would definitely figure out how to get everything back in the original packaging. If the manufacturer trusted it, then it's the best way to go. I would contact Simaudio for detailed instructions on how the get it back in the OEM box, and also see if they have a specific freight hauler that they use and trust  to return repair units. Be advised that trucking companies operate on a completely different time schedule than product movers like FedEx and UPS. They don't like to move a trailer to a specific destination until it is as full as they can get it, which tends to slow things down a bit.
This post makes me happy that when I had to send something back to Julius at Audire, he told me how to unplug the right channel transistor laden heat sink, in order to just mail it. Strangely, there was no problem. I had a bad Radio Shack Balanced to RCA adaptor.
Bias makes very little difference unless amp is running hot. (If you have a friend that can do it in your house, okay) The original capacitors in my 42 year old amplifiers still test good (5% to +20% of original value). Good quality SS equipment typically last 40+ years, even if they have been driven moderately hard. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The reason there are very few QUALITY used amps for sale is the shipping companies. (You know who I'm talking about)
The amp will most likely need new electrolytic caps throughout based on age. Once replaced the amp will indeed sound better. These do dry out over 20 years are don’t hold to spec any longer.  
This will cost, but it will help you keep the amp for many more years. It is always risky to ship so driving it there would be better. 
I would not bother with cleaning or biasing unless you first replace the old electrolytics. The manufacturer is most likely on top of this as part of the plan. 
I shipped an amp that weighs even more than that to the East (Classe DR3 VHC) but had an original double box. It came back in good shape via UPS, although I was worrying the whole time it was away that some idjit would drop it off a loading dock.

If you don't have an original box for it, suggest that you contact Simaudio and see if you can buy one.
If you're servicing the amp, change the electrolytics. If you're not servicing, why open and change caps? Makes no sense for a 5 channel amp! Save your money and buy some separates. Amplifier, preamp along with a surround sound processor if that's what you want. Again, Simaudio is pretty good, I'll bet most caps still test in spec. This unit has 216,000 mfd capacitance in power supply. I've been fixing stuff for 50 years!
Hoping you take MC's advice....I cringed and smiled as I went through his sequence of events.  He is spot on!

I share this as a just how frustrating box shipping can be.  I know your package would not be as susceptible as my my company's but just an example.

One of my customers had a demo piece of equipment I sell.  It is essentially a 50lb egg about 16in diameter.  They saw the driver struggle to get it loaded on its Priority Overnight trip back to my house.  5 days later my regular Express driver casually strolled up my front steps(I saw him while on the phone and wondered...how???).

After my call I went outside and almost threw the box against the ceiling in picking it up.  It was empty!!  The $6000 piece of equipment, its power cord and the bottom section of packing were gone and a new diagonal piece of tape across the bottom flaps.  

At some point from pickup driver to delivery driver the damn thing fell out and the jerks just taped up the box and scanned it.

I am in the middle of the claims process now.  I have been very fortunate when shipping audio components out of necessity but man oh man it always makes me nervous!
If it is working correctly and you are happy do not waste your time or money shipping it because you may never get it back again because of sipping problems/issues because of its size and weight.
He is making the correct decision. He will drive it there.
only 4 hrs away. 
   If my amps go, I have a 1,200 mile drive to Cali.  
It is working magnificently and didn't even give something like this a thought until it was suggested from the good folks at Simaudio as I had wanted this amp for over 20 years and now want this to last as long as possible. If I were not within driving distance I wouldn't do it but since I am and Sim is ok with it, I've decided to do it!

Once again I cannot thank you all enough for all of the great advice and support! Always appreciate folks taking their time to give great advice!
I highly recommend USHIP.COM
They blanket wrap your stuff and it never goes through an automated situation.  The only safer way would be for you to take it there yourself.  Ive used this service many time and most recently had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall shipped to me in Florida from Dallas.  
Another thought; It's always possible if you move forward with the "upgrade" that your amp may not be as pleasing to your ears when you get it back as it is now. Now that would be a nightmare! Joe
@jnovak Thanks for responding - you know this thought did actually occur to me as well. Kinda ties in with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", LOL. Or be careful what you wish for:). However I do have tremendous trust and faith in the folks at Sim and why I wouldn't bring this amp anywhere or to anyone else...Plus just as it's always good to get your routine check ups with your PCP I'd love the confidence of hearing from the folks at Sim that she's all good to go. Worth a nice road trip and $350 for the servicing which I thought was a tremendous price considering the cost of Sim gear!
CARDBOARD is always the best material for packing. NOT thin cheap cardboard but rather heavy cardboard. It is resilient. Plywood not so. Whatever you ship, rest assured it will get bounced around. I've seen some people use duct tape for the outside of the box. Another no no. It isn't made to adhere to cardboard. Buy packing tape that has string reinforcement in it. I do like the very sturdy type of bubble wrap. It is usually green in color and won't break unless you run over it with a truck. 
Whatever you do, steer clear of plywood! I'm in Allentown, Pa. I always have packing material on hand should anyone need some. Boxes as well. Cheers, Joe
I shipped a mono block pair of 120lb amps to Korea from the west coast. So I feel you’ll be okay shipping one.