Selling gear with TMR

I’m at the point of wanting to sell some gear and am seeking any experiences of selling with The Music Room. Did it make things easier? Did you get what you thought was a reasonable offer? Other benefits or detriments you might share?

128x128hilde45

Every experience I've encountered with TMR has been fantastic.  Buying, selling, consignment, or even declining an offer.  Always quick and professional communication.  I've used them 50+ times over the past few years.

For someone like me, short on patience, they're my go-to.  I still sell gear here and the other site, but if something doesn't sell in a couple weeks I'll use TMR and then kick myself for not doing it initially.

yogiboy, let's just say I haven't checked the fee schedule lately ...  2% is very reasonable, of course at that rate you pay whether you sell or not.  The alternative is almost twice that and more in line with what I was thinking.  Still, not bad.

I’ve bought a few things from them over the years and the experience has been fine. I don’t like that you don’t complete checkout on Audiogon, you get routed to their website and, in my case, they slapped on sales tax which I hadn’t seen mentioned up front.

The one time I requested a quote from them on a $3000 item they offered me $2300. So I wouldn’t bother selling anything to them unless it was a part-ex deal.

Since you have to pack it and ship it to them anyway, I don’t see why you wouldn’t just sell it yourself directly and pocket some extra cash. 

@pmotz ..."I will not sell to them again, not sure about buying. It’s good to hear others have had good transactions, it just didn’t work out for me."

Just to clarify, as a buyer and seller, 2/3 of my experiences have been fair. I regret one of the components I sold, and another odd transaction they later apologized for. When I followed up that buyer was gone. Mistakes happen. Live and learn.