Seeking thoughts on Apogee Caliber Ribbon speakers

I just obtained a pair of Apogee Caliber Ribbon loudspeakers. I was trying to find opinions and evaluations on them, but there does not seem to be much information at all on this model. I'm just curious if anyone has any information on them. Good speakers? Great speakers? Junk?
bababondoman

Showing 3 responses by br3098

Apogee Calipers are absolutely fantastic speakers, assuming that you have the right room for them and the right amp or amps (yes, plural) to drive them. There are few (if any) speakers that I believe equal the sound of a properly situated pair of Apogee planars.

I have owned several models of Apogee speakers, starting with the original Full Range Planar model, and I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Although the Caliper is one model I have not owned, although I have listened to them many times with friends that had them.

Downsides:
1- Large, although the Calipers were one of the "small" models. Other speakers can disappear into the decor - Apogees never will do this. They will become the visual focal point of the room.
2- Hard to drive. Again, the Calipers were not the most difficult Apogee speaker to mate to an amp
3- Room dynamics and placement
4- Replacement ribbon and panel parts can be difficult and expensive, although that situation has improved in recent years. Now it's just expensive
4- WAF - very poor female love quotient. Re-read #1

In case you haven't seen them, here are some good links:
Positive Feedback Review
Stereophile Review
Apogee Speakers Userr Website (archive)
Bababondoman,

OK, I can answer you now that my swelled head had shrink back down to it's former insignificance.

You are almost certainly correct; your 65Wpc amp is not adequate to power the Apogee Caliper speakers. I would advise you to stop using these speakers with this amp IMMEDIATELY as you run a real risk of damaging both the amp and the speakers, if you haven't already done so.

From your last two posts I assume that you are attempting to use some form of horizontal bi-amping (seperate amps for the ribbon tweeter and the woofer panel), possibly with a multi-channel amp. Is this correct? From personal experience, I would avoid attempting to horizontal bi-amp unless you have a serious fascination with tweaking or repairing electronics. Vertical bi-amp (separate amps or monoblocks for each speaker) yes, certainly; but you will need to provide adequate power at very low loads.

I would recommend a MINIMUM of 125Wpc at <4 Ohms. 200W-250W or more would be better if your room is large (which I assume it is for these speakers) and if you intend to play large orchestral music. I would suggest the following as reasonably priced options:
1. McCormack DNA-1, 2, 125, 225 - remember you will need two if you are going to bi-amp (bridged mode)
2. Krell KAV-250a (not the /3 model) or KAV-500. (you will want two of the 250)
3- TAD Hibachi amp - monoblock pair

My personal choice would be one of the McCormack amps, preferebly rebuilt by Steve McCormack's SMC Audio. There are many amps that will work and you will undoubtedly receive other good suggestions.
Jmbatkh, the early model Apogee speakers (FRP, Scintilla, Duetta, Caliper) were terribly inefficient, with sensativity in the very low 80s (at best). I have found that these speakers need amps that can deliver adequate current AND power in order to play with minimal distortion at reasonable sound levels.