Seeking Amp / Preamp Upgrades

Hi All, first time poster but long time Audio guy.  After about a 15 year hiatus from being a responsible family guy ... I am making my come back to HiFi and putting together a system in what I would call the moderate price zone.  I am seeking some guidance/suggestions and any general opinions given the current environment on acquiring an AMP / Preamp upgrade.  In the past, I drove Vandersteen 2CIs with Aragon Palladium MKII Mono's and used an ARC LS12 (SS).  Current sources: ClearAudio Performance DC with ClearAudio Tracer Tonearm & Charima MM; Parasound Halo JC3 Jr. Phono stage; Esoteric K-05Xs SACD/CD/DAC; Innuos ZENith MK3 Streamer/Server.  Sonus Faber Sonetto V speakers.

Genre's are Classic Rock, Blues, some unplugged acoustic easy listening and a small dose of Jazz.

Currently using older/borrowed equipment:  Classe Audio CP60 Pre & a Rotel RB981 200wpc amp, sound is well, ok. Hence my upgrade quest.  I prefer a big Sound stage with precision and some warmth, have never been a Tube player, but will consider introducing them in a manageable way.

I am fine buying new or used and beyond suggestions, I also have a line on either an ARC LS17SE MKII (Tube) or a PS Audio BHK Signature (Hybrid) both used.  Any thoughts or views on either of them would be appreciated.  Sorry for the long and winding road here but Finally ... AMP selection- I am struggling in the current landscape of choices, so guidance on pairing with a Preamp & placing one into the system I have reassembled here would be most helpful.   Many thanks, hifi63nc.

hifi63nc

This is a bit of a different option, but you could buy a used McCormack DNA-1 amp for $1200 or less and have Steve McCormack do his full upgrades and be around $4k and a SOTA amp (he’s got my 0.5 RevA in for full mods now). Add a Linear Tube Audio MZ2 preamp with LPS+ power supply and remote for $2160 and you’ll have a pretty darn good pre/amp combo under budget that’ll excel at 3D imaging/big soundstage with a slight bit of warmth from the pre and amp just as you’re looking for. BTW, my DNA 0.5 is due back in mid August and I just received an MZ2 I’m going to use as both a headphone amp and pre in my main system and will share impressions if you have that much time to wait. So, I’m looking for the same things you are and putting my $$$ where my mouth is. My previous pre/amp combo was the 0.5 RevA with a Bryston BP-6 that I really liked, so this new pairing will have its work cut out for it to make me happy. 🤞🤞🤞  BTW, here’s a link to a DNA-1 that you can probably get for around $1000 if you’re a good negotiator…

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649873520-mccormack-dna-1-deluxe-edition/

Having owned and sold one unless you are planning on a fully balanced amp I would avoid the BHK Preamp.  

@yyzsantabarbara thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

I like your approach to preamps, that they should be neutral and transparent. When I had a basic DAC I used a tube preamp to give a holographic warm effect. Then I bought a Musician Aquarius DAC and it sounds wonderful direct through the amp. No need to color the sound or add any effects to it.

I have a question about the Benchmark LA4/HPA4 preamps. Does the preamp enhance anything in the sound stage in your system like 3D, clarity, separation ..etc? Or is it just a wire with a volume knob? In other words if the Benchmark AHB2 had a volume knob would you still use the LA4 preamp?

I read here: "Removing the LA4 from the signal path produced a noticeable difference in the sound, and not for the better."

You wrote here : "I am talking with someone who is auditioning a LA4 with a $10K mostly neutral DAC. He said that the LA4 and the DAC were a great combo but the DAC direct to amp was slightly better."

A question about the Peachtree Nova please :)

You wrote here: "I tried an all-Benchmark system with the LS50, a LA4 preamp, DAC3B, and AHB2 amp ($6500 total and small form factor). This was so much better than the Nova 150."

I have an older Nova and as a power amplifier (ditch the DAC) it wiped the floor with my Atoll IN200. The bass was so much better that it was like listening to a different song. Does the AHB2 do a similarly good job with Bass as the Nova in your experience?

@tjag The LA4 and HPA4 will not enhance the sound in anyway, nor does the Topping pre90. If specs are something you look at it is hard to find another preamp that is quieter.

The $10K DAC is known to be good DAC direct to amp. However, I would ALWAYS use the LA4 with any DAC. It is just one person’s experience that I wrote about. I think the digital volume control in a DAC is always subpar compared to a preamp, especially the LA4’s.

Benchmark HPA4 Review – The One to rule them All! (soundnews.net)

That review on Soundstage was a terrible review of the LA4. The reviewer liked the LA4 but he did not do a good job in the review. The review on Soundnews.net is more informative. Tha guy uses a full Benchmark stack with KEF Reference 3. That is someone with the same tastes as me, and a much better audio writer than me.

The NOVA is good for the price, but the Benchmark gear for me is reference quality gear. The NOVA’s amp section was much better than the preamp and DAC sections. I tested out all 3 while waiting for a new preamp and DAC shipment t arrive.

If the Benchmark AHB2 had a volume control, maybe like the Bryston pro gear, it maybe something that would negate the need for a preamp, if you only had 1 source. I have 4 sources connected to the preamp, 2 tuners and 2 DACs.

Benchmark has a 30-day home trial period.

@yyzsantabarbara: Thank you for your input and for sharing your personal experiences with me, very helpful. I am researching Benchmark & Coda further as considerations.

@lldd: Great question.  Yes, I would consider an Integrated as I have read what you said about their quality and the compression of the delta between separates.  My only requirement would be, that it is only a Preamp/Amp Integration.  I already have a Phono Stage and DAC, so no need for redundancy plus it keeps the chassis layout cleaner.  Any of your suggestions would be most welcomed!

@soix: Thanks for your input on the BHK, much appreciated.  I neglected to mention this in my original post (1st timer ... 😐), but all of my Cables & Power Cords are Nordost-Blue Heaven and I do run everything via XLR interconnects, including the JC3 Jr into the Classe Pre.  So, I am not opposed to choosing a fully balanced Amp.  I am currently restricted due to the age of the RB981, so running that SE from the Classe CP60 but any recommendations for fully balanced Amps would be great too.

I will look into the Steve McCormack pathway as well - I have a vague memory of that name being associated with Conrad Johnson back in my earlier days ...is that the case?  Lastly, I am going to be patient.  I am going to complete my system and then enjoy listening and hopefully avoid the upgrade itch for quite awhile 😬.