Seeking advise on 6922 tubes for a preamplifier..

Hello, I'm seeking advise on replacing (5) 6922 Sovtek (I think) tubes on my preamp -these are stock cheap tubes that came with the unit I bought used and I'm wondering of a reliable place to find replacement for these and also which kind to replace them with in terms of brand and model.

I've heard of some horror stories of buying on ebay and yet the thought of replacing and trying different tubes is quite exciting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
usa

Showing 2 responses by usa

Thanks. The preamplifier in question is the Premier 16 Series II with a total of 6 tubes (sorry, above mentions only five, my typo).

There is nothing really wrong with the characteristics of the sound per se but I’m wondering if changing these for better quality tubes will indeed yield any results worthwhile or is it best to simply replace and re-tube the preamp with the same ones by contacting CJ factory directly. I’m sure there prices will be quite high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello:

Thank you all for your good and sound advise.
I was able to place an order for NEW Amperex white box NOS 6DJ8' at $25.00 each. The choice was either these or the Amerex branded "Valvo" ECC88 which according to this gentleman are almost identical sounding but, have the advantage of running a little cooler, making them run a little longer. The other alternatives were Sylvania 6922' at $15.00 ea. or Elctro-Harmonix 6922EH (gold pin) selling btwn $17.00 to $20.00 tested.

Based on a very strong recommendation from the seeler, I opted for the Amperex as he hates Russian tubes and especially the computerized tubes being produced these days.

This'll be the first experiment with tubes but, I thought worth experimenting with. I'll post my comments after I experiment with these but, I wanted to take a minute to post this quick note to thank those who responded and others who took the time to read this discussion. Thanks!