Seeking advise on 6922 tubes for a preamplifier..

Hello, I'm seeking advise on replacing (5) 6922 Sovtek (I think) tubes on my preamp -these are stock cheap tubes that came with the unit I bought used and I'm wondering of a reliable place to find replacement for these and also which kind to replace them with in terms of brand and model.

I've heard of some horror stories of buying on ebay and yet the thought of replacing and trying different tubes is quite exciting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
usa

Showing 1 response by photon46

One thing to remember is that you can gain more or less benefit from a tube depending on their position. You might not need to replace all the tubes to get improvements. The amount of gain you need from a tube also influences how much risk you will take buying off Ebay. When I use tubes in my line stage, I only need 3 or 9 db. of gain, so I've been able to use almost everything I've bought over the years in that position. The phono circuit is a different matter, much tougher to get low noise in those positions. I've had quite good luck buying from sellers on Ebay, very few times have I been burned. The main thing to learn is how to recognize fakes and misrepresentations. The more desirable the tube the more likely to be faked.