Seek non-ported speakers - $700 to $1500 To stop the port-itis in my room!

I have a smallish room 12x12 that has an unusual ceiling.  I've used several highly regarded speakers in the space and the real ported ones are the biggest problem.  I tried KEF ls50's and wanted to love them but the lower-end was too puffy sounding.  Front ported speakers do have less of a "port-itis" issue.  I found a used pair of polk lsi9's and they sound very good in my room but not great.  I'm looking for ideas for non-ported or ported speakers that are less problematic.  Range $700-$1500.  Thanks for your input audio brothers!  Drumbe the retired drummer.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrumbe

Showing 1 response by sbuckley

Rega RX1 or if you can find it used the RS1 (this is what I own).   Smallish standpoint.  Quick and linear bass, no midbass hump.   Very even response from lows to highs, they just get out the way.  I bought mine used and I’m going to the grave with them.

I also dislike “puffy” bass.  Mates well with a small sealed sub for frequencies below about 65hz.  Works well near wall or in space, I’ve lived with both setups happily.  

Don’t be concerned about the rear port, a near wall placement is within the design envelope as they say.