Searching for matching(?) Subwoofer solution

Hi folks,

I have a relatively new setup in my home office (12' x 14' with hardwood floor) and am seeking recommendations for a subwoofer solution.

Speakers: Ologe 5
Preamp:    Bryston P26 
Amp:         Forte 1A
Budget:     Flexible but just want something to provide a good match for the above components.
Music:       Mostly Classical and Jazz.  Some rock, some fusion.
Source:     Well, that's something else I am seeking advice on too and will post under the appropriate discussion topic

Problem is none of the local Hi Fi shops here in the Boston area have any experience with, let alone heard of Ologe speakers.  Couldn't get any recommendations there.

Has anyone owned or at least listened to these speakers? Or any of the other Ologe speakers?
The Ologe site (http://www.ologe-acoustic.com/) features a subwoofer called Ologe 20 at USD $8550.  
Just wanted to look into alternatives before dropping over 8 grand on the Ologe 20.
 I am open to but don't know much about subwoofer swarms.

I am not looking for anything overkill.  Just a subwoofer solution to nicely complement my somewhat modest home office system.

Thanks,
H
hleeid
The need to match subs all stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of how bass works in a room and what you need to do to get good bass. Almost everyone is held back by the old school thinking where the sub needs to be as "fast" or at least sound the same as the mains. Timing and matching and power and anything along those lines is unfounded and misleading. From the way we perceive low frequencies to the physics of low frequencies in a room all the evidence indicates the one sub solution can only fail. No matter how much money you throw at it, how big/powerful the sub, how great the EQ, it just never really works. It can't. The physics is all wrong.

What does work however is instead of trying to find the magic sub you drop that whole failed paradigm and go to what actually does work, using four or more subs in a Swarm or Distributed Bass Array type system.

With one sub, no matter where you put it or how good it is or how great the equalization it simply cannot overcome the physical reality of nodes where the response is cancelled to almost nothing or reinforced to way too loud. Equalizing can make it better at one location, but only at the cost of making it worse everywhere else.

With multiple subs however now each sub is creating the same problems with modes, but because they are in different locations each one will have peaks and troughs at different frequencies. With four spaced around the room these will all together average out into a very flat and even response. Much more flat and even than you can get with any one single sub, no matter how big and powerful and expensive and equalized.

Also because there are four they don't need to be nearly as big and powerful. Four 10" subs with 200 watts is plenty.

Both the ones I built and the ones Tim (noble100) uses are about $3k yet produce truly state of the art bass- deep, fast, articulate, and powerful. This approach works so well it works with any and all speakers, making the question of "matching" irrelvant. Only thing to "match" is the level. Search out the many threads. DBA. Totally the way to go.
Hello hleeid,

Everything millercarbon stated is true, a 4-sub distributed bass array is the best solution.  However, in a home office environment in which I'm assuming you'll be listening primarily from your desk chair, I think a pair of SVS-SB1000 subs, currently on sale for 1/2 price at $499 each and $950 for a pair, will provide very good bass performance, if properly positioned in your room, that will also integrate or blend with any pair of main speakers used.  There's absolutely no need to use the same brand subs as your main speakers and you're going to save at least $7,000.
     Here's a link to the SVS website and the SB1000 subs:
www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000?gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP6Vm0QPz9ILXcyN2AvpfJDm-f5eEB6ODR4u6...
     These are very good quality subs at a great price. They also have all the necessary controls of volume, crossover frequency and continuously variable phase control that will enable you to seamlessly blend the added bass with your main speakers.
     If you decide to buy a pair of these subs, or any other pair of subs, I'm willing to describe the method to position and configure them for optimum results.  I have no financial interests in SVS, I'm just retired and willing to assist.

Tim 
Thanks for the great suggestions!
I like both the DBA and SVS suggestions. If I go with the SVS, I will graciously seek out your set up advice Tim.

Millercarbon - do you actually build DBAs? If so, and if I decide on a DBA I would prefer to send business your way.

Tim - Can the SVS be configured into a DBA if I purchased 2 pairs?  Or would that not be the correct approach?Also since each SVS has its own integrated amplifier, can they drive the main speakers too?

I am still a newcomer to this hobby and am beginning to realize just how much there is to learn about these things.

Hans
Hello Hans,

I bought my 4-sub DBA system, the Audio Kinesis Swarm, for $2,800.  Here's a link to a review of that that system: 

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

Millercarbon built his own custom 4-sub DBA system, a copy of the Swarm but with upgraded woofer drivers, for about the same price.  I'll let him describe this option if you're interested.
     You could also build your own custom 4-sub DBA system by purchasing 2 pairs of the SVS SB1000 subs for about $1,900.  This option, however, is the most difficult to properly configure because the three important settings, volume, crossover frequency and phase, need to be set on each of the 4 subs.  With my Swarm and millercarbon's custom Swarm clone, all three controls only need to be set just once on the sub amp/controller for all four subs as a group.

Any of these three 4-sub DBA system options will result in excellent perceived bass throughout your entire office.  The 2-sub option I mentioned will provide a more limited area of very good perceived bass centered on your desk chair position.  From your desk chair, all options will provide very good bass response that will sound seamlessly integrated or blended with your main speakers.

Tim

The Rythmik F12-300 Servo-Feedback Subwoofer is currently on sale for $700 shipped. That's of course $2800 for four, but if you buy more than one at a time, I believe you get a 10% discount on your order. Each sub has it's own 300 watt amp, and controls include x/o frequency, continuously-variable 0 to 180 degree phase, and damping.

The L12 entry-level Rythmik is $559 shipped, and it also features Rythmik's Direct Servo-Feedback circuitry.