Scratch - The Crusaders

You’ve all had an album that changed your thoughts on music.  For me it was Scratch by The Crusaders.  Care to share?

djtalsky

What does literally or figuratively mean?

For example, when someone says, “I am literally foaming at the mouth,” this literally means real foam is coming out of his or her mouth. Figuratively means in a metaphorical sense—that is, not in a real sense but in a way that is expressed through figures of speech.

Regarding Edgar Winter, I only know the part of his career when Dan Hartman was in his band.  The Edgar Winter Group was first rate, starting with Ronnie Montrose and then Rick Derringer on guitar, with Hartman on bass, guitar and vocals.  Hartman also wrote many of their hit singles.  Hartman later became a disco star and co-wrote James Brown "Living In America", Apollo Creed's them song in "Rocky IV".

Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo.  The performance starts at 0:41.

Wilton Felder is the bass player in what is one of the first disco hits. The Hues Corporation "Rock the Boat".  Jim Gordon is the drummer along with Larry Carlton and Joe Sample.  Good musicians make good music!

Funny that you mentioned Entrance by Edgar Winter. I was 14 when that came out and was listening to lots of different music on Detroit radio stations, but never heard anything quite like that! R&R/Jazz/Gospel combo really blew my mind and guided me to listen to more straight-ahead jazz. To this day I’ll spin Entrance every few months. A terrific record!

Post removed 

was taught how to listen to jazz in my freshman year of college, where my assigned roommate was a music major, young saxophonist - over our 8-9 months sharing the room, he started me with chuck mangione, george benson, bob james... eventually we got all the way into bird, trane, joe pass, oscar peterson, miles, dex, abbey lincoln and the rest, was a truly formative period in my becoming a lifelong jazz fan, supporting the art form etc...

the crusaders, scratch, southern comfort, chain reaction, southern knights, were a big part of that journey... larry carlton joining really injected a new energy into the group, but wilton felder and joe sample were consistently the leading voices and artistic anchors....

...many fond memories - will listen to some of this again tonight!  thanks for the prompt....🤗