Schiit Modi Multibit

I'm in the process of upgrading my analog system but still like to have a (very) affordable DAC in that system in case I or a friend wants to hear something either from a CD or stream Tidal from a computer or a smart phone/tablet. Almost all my "upgrade" budget is going to the cartridge and phono preamp but I can carve out enough to buy something under $300. I have an old CDP which I'll use as transport.

While looking around, the Modi Multibit seemed like a reasonable option but I don't see much owner feedback. Looks like most folks go for the higher models like Bifrost or even higher.

Anyone owns this model and how do you like it? Or, is there another brand/model you recommend in that price range, new or used?

Thanks.

128x128kalali

Just a quick follow up question: can anyone suggest how to connect an iPhone or iPad to Modi for streaming Tidal? I assume it would have to be through the USB port on the Modi but not sure about the type of cable that fits on the iPhone/iPad end.

Thanks.

I would recommend it as well. This because I have some favorable experiences recently with Schiit as a business entity (i.e. having nothing to do with their already revered sound quality of their components).  And coming from me, that's a rave.
Something like this...maybe???

3.5mm male to USB A female plug converter out of your iPhone or iPad

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-USB-Female-Converter/dp/B01CA5MDSY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&i...

(find better quality if you can)

Use with a conventional USB A to B cable to the Modi.

Personally, I went to an Aries Mini.  The wireless let me get rid of the long USB cable.  The Aries is controlled by the DS Lightning app from the iPhone.
I think that cable will only give you analog out of the iDevice. You should get a Lightning to USB cable.  That should give you bits out, to go into your Modi.  Others can comment if this is correct.
@docknow

Doc - you are correct. My mistake.  A Lightning to USB cable should work.  Another option would be a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (see link here; supports USB 3.0) that allows charging while the device is connected. You will need a USB power adapter for the charging.  A USB A to B cable will connect this adapter from your device to the DAC.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter